Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Or was it the 500:1 compression being used in the mic amp...
There were a few things done by those who didn't understand the tech or how such things could cause problems. That sort of thing can cause a signal to splatter across a lot more than the intended channel. Another significant problem was using unauthorized amplifiers. People would buy stuff that wasn't approved by the government, crank it up and generate harmonics. The 2nd harmonic of 27 MHz is 54 MHz, which is right at the bottom of TV channel 2. The 3rd harmonic, at 81 MHz, could interfere Ch 5.

got my amateur ticket in 1973

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Localy 1/2 the Cb'Ers and Ham talked on same channels 17 and 31 some would use a Handle but most of us used real names.

But Yes in the first years I did use a Handle since it's what Everyone did.

and since I'm from a small City 10,000 population Everyone really knew everyone.

My Dad Was a Ham Radio Operator but he mostly was on 2 Meters

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
One of the privileges of having an amateur radio licence is this exemption under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act:

Time-limited exemption for amateur radio operators.

Drivers who hold a valid radio operator certificate issued under the Radiocommunication Act (Canada) may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 13 (1), O. Reg. 253/12, s. 3 (1).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Provoked by this thread I went to the Government side to look at the amateur radio stuff. I didn't know there was a no-Morse licence here. When I last looked at an amateur licence in the Uk in the 60's it was the 10 wpm of Morse that stopped me. Anyway I tried one of the test exams. I didn't do the whole thing but amazing how much of it was still in my head somewhere. I bet I could get the 80% pass mark first try. Of course it maybe that the exam gets more difficult the further one gets into it...didn't have time to do the full hundred questions.
I am tempted but in reality I doubt I would ever use a licence now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Like Upper Canada Village I call it my New Old technologies.

Would be something different to do it's why I re-installed my old system but all this talk about Ham radio
is putting me on the road to go for it.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts