Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well After over 20 years of not Having My C.B. Installation up I put everything together,
I Had kept all my equipment all I had to buy was a few PL259 connectors and that was it.
all the rest I still had.

I installed the antenna on a bracket and put it 72' up in the air up on top of My OTA Antenna.
connected everything up and cool part is everything still works like the day I unplugged it
Fun really talking to some old friends I had a chat with 5 of the old guys now and 2 new users.

I want to take a old P.C. Case and install all my meters and power supply with a few fan's to keep it clean and out of the way.

I took a photo of current installation and will update pic's after I have made a few mods....want pic's of antenna setup?

Viewing image 2018072916.jpg at The Raptor Pit Image Hosting - TRP Image Hosting

http://www.theraptorpit.com/Upload/images/2018072916.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I had a Silver Eagle mic as well. Back in the day. A ham friend even wired up a foot pedal to it for me. Made chatting easier.

These days with excessive amplification the noise floor is too high, in my opinion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for me I live in the woods and only noise I get can be handles by the radio's included noise cancellation.

I was talking skip last night in Texas and Alabama and Indiana was a good night.

Was fun I'm happy I re-installed everything it's fun that lots of my old friends are still on the air,
I'm sure if a tell a few old C.B.'ers that we are back on that they will come back too.

I'm 48 years old but I fell older some days. but that's a good thing.

Yes I love my Silver Eagle Lollipop but I'm back with just a normal hand mike for now.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Next time I see a CB set at a thrift store I'll have to pick it up. Use to have great fun in the 80's chatting on CB, along with listening to various service bands on an old Realistic scanner.

I just figured that nobody was on CB anymore!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there is much more over here talking on the CB then I expected up to 7 different people still talking I like it a lot.
and new ones showing up almost every day.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I used to chat on sideband with a few guys who'd use frequencies just above channel 40. It was nice and quiet up there...no newbies with poor radio etiquette jumping in. Good times.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
It was nice and quiet up there...no newbies with poor radio etiquette jumping in. Good times.
Also illegal. Various parts of the radio spectrum are assigned to different services. For example, immediately above Ch 40 there's a slice of spectrum that's assigned to mobile primary and fixed secondary. I recall seeing radios used by a construction company that were licensed in that space. Above that, you're into an amateur radio band that starts at 28 MHz. So, by operating outside the assigned frequencies, you are potentially interfering with a licensed service.

BTW, I've had an amateur radio licence for 46 years. Operating outside of the authorized bands is something I have never done. One thing I used to notice was the number of people who didn't know the difference between CB (actually General Radio Service in Canada) and amateur radio and who'd then tar us with the same brush, blaming us for problem caused by CBers running illegal amplifiers and more.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Agreed, illegal. But nothing was licensed at the time for this spectrum.

And yes, I was aware of CB'ers using modified HAM radios to access (transmit) on unauthorized frequencies. Certainly not a good idea and I could see how it would impact the credibility of licensed amateur users.

I never ran amplifiers. With a good antenna and rig you could enjoy good dx conversations via propagation.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
But nothing was licensed at the time for this spectrum.
How do you know that? As I mentioned, I saw some equipment, used by a construction company, that was in precisely that spot. There were also government users in that vicinity.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
As I recall, one of the guys using the spectrum (essentially channel 41) actually worked for Industry Canada locally.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
^^^^
Years ago, the high end of the HF part of the spectrum was commonly used for mobile radio. Back in the '70s, when I worked in northern Ontario, my work often took me into OPP and Ministry of Natural Resources offices, where I'd see the radio equipment. Those frequencies were used because they were more useful in remote areas than the VHF & UHF frequencies commonly used now. You may recall the OPP cruisers used to have fairly long antennas.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was a CBer for over 25 years and back in the day we did need a license but they took that away in the mid 1990's,
I still remember my licence number.

CB = Citizen Band.

and true there where some that had CB's that could go on upper and lower channels and used preamps,
like anything thing else they will always be some that bend or break the rules.

Has for my self I kept the same power output but My modulation is a bit stronger and that was legal.

and FYI Channel 41 42 43 44 45 are CB channels in France and some of the local guys here would go talk to the Frenchies on skipp at 3 or 4 in the morning.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Frank, have you considered obtaining your amateur radio license? There is a no code license category now (basic) and the exam is not difficult.

Back in the day when I obtained my amateur radio license, we had to draw schematic diagrams of a working receiver and transmitter along with the power supply. Combine this with 10 WPM morse code testing and it was a real challenge.

Today, most anyone can obtain their basic qualification with little difficulty.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it crossed more then My mind I even took a course back in the 90's but could never do the the Morse code fast enough and spelling is my weakest.

I still have a few book's maybe I should take them out and read a bit.

has a teen I was at my friends a older man Ham operator Rubber Duck and I just learned a lot from him and he was a good teacher He showed me he could go around the globe with his setup in 2.3 sec's
I learned a lot from my Dad and Uncles too.

Maybe I should get my licences and get a RCI 2995 or a SDR Transmitter and play with that.

Anyone in Hawkesbury Cornwall Ottawa Montreal giving a Basic Ham Radio Operators course for 10 meters?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I once made the mistake of saying 10-4 on 2 meters. Dead silence followed. It took some of the hams a while to recover from my indiscretion.
10-4 is an accepted term used by many other radio services and not just CBers. But its a no-no on ham radio!

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
^^^^
CBers, in trying to look "professional" borrowed a lot of things from other services. Many years ago, I was assisting with a telethon being run at the CFTO studios at 401 & McCowan. We'd go out and pick up the donations. While both amateurs and CBers were there, you could tell the CBers. They were the ones with the flashing lights on top of their cars. ;)

Then came the song and movie "Convoy"...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
some CB'ers where like the old school redneck, but not all of us where like that so don't put us in all the same basket.

and Convoy was a great movie for the time even canon ball run, and smokey and the bandit.

but true there was some wacky guy's on the CB after they took the licencing away it started a new type of CBers that where not the same has the old school guys.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
For fun I punched in 27MHz and manually tuned up in 5Khz increments on my Sangean ATS606 and had a chuckle at those folks on the road yelling into their microphones. Or was it the 500:1 compression being used in the mic amp...

Who knows....

I skipped the 27MHz crowd completely and got my amateur ticket in 1973.

Lots-O-fun too over the years.

But as mentioned, now there is a code free license. Go for it. And yes, a handle will be met with a less than favourable reaction. :)

Cameron

1 - 20 of 30 Posts