Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently moved into a condo that has a buzzer system to let people in and its not working for me. The type of buzzer is a number buzzer where someone would press 17 and it should ring up to my room then i can let them in by pressing 9 i believe . I have been trying with a cordless phone i have read some feeds saying that i may need a cord phone ? i have just ordered one of those so ill see if that works. But basically i have been plugging the phone and its not working. when i press 17 on the intercom it sounds like its ringing downstairs but not to the phone in my room. I know people are going to say you have to talk to the condo board but i have tried to call them they have came to room and are unable to fix it. I keep getting the run around from the condo board and the building manager, and the building managers a real plug we setup a time for him to come to my room at 9am worked it out with my manager at work so i can come in late then he doesnt show up when i call him he said he forgot. Was told by him i would need to have a land line installed then when the guy from cogeco came he said if he adds a land line it wont do anything for the buzzer. today i called the condo board they said it should work by just plugging it into the jack in your kitchen once i got home they is no jack in the kitchen. I have been told by the building manager that the buzzer doesnt work in some rooms ? sounds like a load of b.s and he is to cheap to call in a repair man, any suggestions for this situation ?

oh stevie sometimes i wonder

·
Super Moderator
56,784 Posts
As you stated, you really need to talk to your building management about this. There are several ways that building intercoms and buzzers work. Some work via a dedicated "phone/intercom" supplied by the building that is in your suite. Some work only on a select jack in your suite - it sounds like you need to plug your phone (be it corded or a cordless base) into that jack wherever it is (kitchen?). (It may also function with any jack, depends) You may wish to try several different jacks. Other systems are set up to dial a phone number and that needs to be programmed by the building console - this could even be to a cell phone, but it doesn't sound like you have that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its definitely this "select jack in your suite" as i have talked to others in the building who's work. i have tried all four jacks in the condo with my cordless phone and none of them work.

·
Super Moderator
56,784 Posts
When you talked to the other people did they say where the (working) jack was? Or does any jack in the suite work? Can you borrow a corded phone from a neighbour for a test? I suppose it's possible that the jack(s) in your suite is/are not working, but then you'll still need to get building management to fix that. It's their responsibility.

It's possible that a technician may have disconnected the jack(s) in your suite in the central distribution locker where service providers may go, but it should not be necessary to have a landline in most places since it should be possible to connect the "intercom/buzzer" line directly, unless it's the type of console that calls a phone number instead of being "hard wired".

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Its possible that one jack is wired using a different conductor pair and that the phone to be plugged in needs to be wired like that. If it is different than regular phone you will never get a regularly wired one to work. I would remove/look at the back of the jacks and see if a different pair is used for one jack. If so you might be able to modify a plug in jack to that pair, plug in and it might work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys, the last comment light bulbed me and i can remember the building manager saying there is some sort of square box that the other suites have that is plugged in the wall jack, any1 know what kind pf square box that would be ? although the property management team said i dont need this

·
Super Moderator
56,784 Posts
Decades ago, phones used to be hard wired without jacks and/or residences were not pre-wired with phone jacks. When phones with jacks became available and people could purchase their own phones instead of renting, the phone company (or an electrician) would wire up a surface mount box that was about 5 cm x 5 cm x 1-2 cm on the baseboard or someplace else handy that you could then plug your jacked phone into. Talk to your neighbours and ask to see what they have. Then contact management again. This should not be your problem. Here's a sample:

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
The device the other suites have is very likely the Sittelle IVI 6000, Sittelle Technologies-IVI6000

This device is now very common in condominium and apartment buildings with a door buzzer / intercom.

So if I get this right, people can punch in your Buzzer Code at the front door, but it does NOT ring in your apartment suite, correct? if so, then something is either wired incorrectly, or the Sittelle IVI 6000 box may have been disconnected. Sometimes the Sittelle box is installed behind a telephone wall plate within the wall cavity, or in other times its installed where the telephone wires enter the apartment suite. I've also seen a lazy install where it was accessible to the customer and dangling from the customers phone jack. which will still work, but if you have kids who like to touch things and disconnect wires i would avoid having it exposed and instead try to have it installed in a discreet location like the phone connection terminal area or behind a wall if there is enough space

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
The door system may have been disconnected or bypassed by an ISP for DSL internet. I ran into a situation where the building security system was incompatible with DSL. My solution was to have the phone company connect a separate twisted pair to a dedicated plug for the modem and leave the others intact for the phones (at my expense of course.) DSL is less common now but it's possible that someone bypassed the building security system.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
No you DONT need a landline for your buzzer to work. The jacks sound like they are not wired correctly. There is ALWAYS some kind of device which inserts the buzzer intercom onto your phone wiring, if that is broken, defective or missing, or incorrectly wired, it will not work as intended. Cordless vs corded phone has nothing to do with this. tell your landlord to fix it, maybe he does not want to hire a telecom contractor, but that means he is a cheap skate

·
Super Moderator
56,784 Posts
Not necessarily. You may still need the device outlined in post 8. There should be no need for a landline, unless you want it anyway.

I don't understand why you keep trying to fix this yourself. This is a common element item that the condo board/management needs to resolve, but it's certainly your choice.

Have you had a chance to talk to your neighbours and see what they have? If you're worried about COVID, have them send you a photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not necessarily. You may still need the device outlined in post 8. There should be no need for a landline, unless you want it anyway.

I don't understand why you keep trying to fix this yourself. This is a common element item that the condo board/management needs to resolve, but it's certainly your choice.

Have you had a chance to talk to your neighbours and see what they have? If you're worried about COVID, have them send you a photo.
this is a common element item that the condo board/management needs to resolve, but it's certainly your choice.

with regards to the above what if they don't what can i do ?

·
Super Moderator
56,784 Posts
I'm sure that for such a small matter you would not engage in legal action, but you could threaten legal action if the board or management doesn't eventually provide satisfaction in this matter.

I suggest you discuss with a neighbour or two so that you know what works, then talk to management again. This should be easy to resolve.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Stevie:
57 gives good advice - clearly the system still works in the building, and its the responsibility of condo management (on behalf of the Board of Directors) to make it work for you. Document your requests.
If you are not getting satisfaction, you should escalate it to the Board of Directors. Failing that, in Ontario you can escalate it to the Condominium Authority of Ontario who recommend arbitration for complaints, but it should never come to that (speaking as a director/officer of a Toronto condo).
I've come across these last-centruy systems before - we upgraded to the much more common entryphone systems such as by Mircom, which can dial in to any phone, cell or landline.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The device the other suites have is very likely the Sittelle IVI 6000, Sittelle Technologies-IVI6000

This device is now very common in condominium and apartment buildings with a door buzzer / intercom.

So if I get this right, people can punch in your Buzzer Code at the front door, but it does NOT ring in your apartment suite, correct? if so, then something is either wired incorrectly, or the Sittelle IVI 6000 box may have been disconnected. Sometimes the Sittelle box is installed behind a telephone wall plate within the wall cavity, or in other times its installed where the telephone wires enter the apartment suite. I've also seen a lazy install where it was accessible to the customer and dangling from the customers phone jack. which will still work, but if you have kids who like to touch things and disconnect wires i would avoid having it exposed and instead try to have it installed in a discreet location like the phone connection terminal area or behind a wall if there is enough space
where do you get the Sittelle IVI 6000, Sittelle Technologies-IVI6000 ???

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I honestly have No Idea. It should have been installed in your condominium already. Either its plugged into a wall jack, or installed behind a wall plate, or inside your telephone junction panel., or its been removed and its missing all together.

Your best bet is to ask your Condominium corporation why your buzzer is not working, They may use the Sittelle product, they may use a competitors product, or they may use something proprietary that is totally different and may have a unique wiring situation. None of us will know and we strongly recommend you do NOT go and buy the Sittelle device because what if its not compatible?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts