Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a replacement receiver soon for my 5100 with 120GB drive. It had the "Conexant chip issue" when I first acquired it nearly 2 years ago, had it fixed, but now its been showing signs of playing up again.

To hopefully avoid the hassle of buying another expensive receiver, activating it from the southern provinces (where we try to call Bell as little possible!) only to find out its another lemon, I've been tossing over my options.

I use the one receiver to feed TV's throughout the house. I don't need the TV2 option - my wife never watches Bell - so its just to let me watch in whatever room I happen to be in. UHF remotes are nice for this, but we have IR-UHF extenders for the DirecTV setup in most places, so even UHF remotes are not a deal-breaker.

However, I need to two sets of RCA video/audio out (to allow me to hook it up to my (non-HD) primary TV and the DVD burner), and an RF out on coaxial cable to send the signal via house cabling to all other rooms of the house. This, therefore, rules out the 6131 or 9241 which I could buy new with an actual warranty, etc, as the connectivity options wont work for me. It will be another $150-200 to add RCA video amp/splitter and RF modulator boxes behind the receiver.

So, I think I'm down to a 5900, 9200 and 9242 (as I wont touch a 5100/5800 again!).

While we don't have HD yet, we will soon, so it seems silly to buy another non-HD receiver (I'd hoped the 5100 would last another year or two through this transition). However the 5900's are the cheapest available on ebay right now - altho still fetching $150.

9242, I read everywhere, is the best DVR ever in Canada. However, I also read constantly on here of problems with them - freezes, drive crashes, whatever - it seems a good % of them don't see a 3rd birthday. Given these still fetch $600 on ebay, I'm very reluctant to go this route - maybe the previous owner had it 2 years, so its liable to flake out on me in under a year? But do I just see a lot of problems reported with these, because there are so many out there, and the breakdown rate is really still very low?

9200s seem an old reliable workhorse. I know they wont handle mpeg4, but given Bell's glacial adoption of new technology, how likely is that in the next 3-4 years? On the other hand, I see fewer issues with them in posts - but is that because there are many fewer of them these days. There are lots available on ebay - often $300-400.

What would you do in these circumstances?

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I rejoined Bell, I got a 9200 and then looked around for a 9242, finally finding a great one on Ebay at a good price. I really like the 9242 - the external drive has been great. I have never had a lick of trouble with this box, which has delighted me after reading what some people have dealt with. I use the OTA tuner and the TV2 output and the RF modulator, so the 9241 was never tempting. My 9200 is now a spare, with a drive I know I can drop into my 9242 if I need to do so.

·
Registered
510 Posts
9242 hands down.

The 9200 was a great unit as well, but it is older and is not MPEG4 compatible. Looks like you need the MPEG4 if you want to use the new VOD service!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts