Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where exactly to post this but I have a crazy idea of investigating whether it is possible to by an HD PVR online (eBay, etc) to be used with Rogers cable? I mean, is it possible at all? (legally that is). I've seen them offered online for something like US$240 plus shipping. Scientific Atlanta's web site said that Explorer 8300HD isn't avialable for retail in the US and is only available through select cable operators for a lease. Does it mean that in Canada we can buy them? If I buy it, will Rogers give me a hard time authorizing the box?

Any insight is welcome. Can you buy the HD PVR from Rogers? I can't find the info on Rogers web site about availability/pricing...

Thanks for your help.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
alex, generally its not unheard of for Rogers to activate a box from elsewhere but defintitely not guaranteed. Plenty of threads on the topic discussing the issue so you might want to search

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Rogers will not typically activate a STB that has not been purchased from them or their authorized distributors.

The pricing for the SA8300HD is definitely on their website. They allow you to buy or rent. See below - took me about 1 minute to find.

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cable/ptv/control/hdtv.asp

After the "promotion" ends, the price is $25/mo, plus a $2/mo PVR fee. The PVR fee applies if you buy too. You can get an extended warranty for a purchased unit for $5/mo, but you need to apply within 90 days.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
57 said:
Rogers will not typically activate a STB that has not been purchased from them or their authorized distributors.

The pricing for the SA8300HD is definitely on their website. They allow you to buy or rent. See below - took me about 1 minute to find.

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cable/ptv/control/hdtv.asp

After the "promotion" ends, the price is $25/mo, plus a $2/mo PVR fee. The PVR fee applies if you buy too. You can get an extended warranty for a purchased unit for $5/mo, but you need to apply within 90 days.
I've been on the SA8000HD (rental) for just above forever, and I'm wondering if I should finally buy one instead of paying rental fees, and if so, which one to buy. Is the SA8300HD my only option?

Sorry if this seems a bit n00bish, but I haven't been following the technology in recent months.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
If you are interested in buying, you should likely buy the SA8300HD, since it's newer, a bit faster and resolved a couple of the issues associated with the SA8000HD (although new firmware resolved most of the issues with the 8000HD.)

There was a long thread a few months back regarding rent vs buy that you could check out - found it.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14516

·
Banned
406 Posts
Interesting... The price to purchase an HD PVR in New Brunswick & Newfoundland is only $499 compared to $599 in Ontario. Maybe I should pick one up on my trip this summer as I drive through? :) Would it work in Ontario?

·
Registered
1 Posts
57: when you said: "Rogers will not typically activate a STB that has not been purchased from them..." does it mean sometimes they would?? if so, what are the criterias? i mean the price difference between ebay (around $175US) and buying from rogers ($599+tax) is quite a bit. what do i have to say to them for them to activate a 'non-rogers' receiver?

thanks in advance,
ed

·
Banned
660 Posts
It is a big gamble buying from ebay.It is really not that big of a price difference
$180 american plus duty etc you looking at around $300 canadian and it may not work.It does not matter what you say 80% the time they will not activate it.As for the rogers box $60 plus you get credit and you know it will work.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
hiphopflo said:
57: when you said: "Rogers will not typically activate a STB that has not been purchased from them..." does it mean sometimes they would??
The only sometimes is if the STB is a Motorola for use in Atlantic Canada.

I have not heard of a single SA8300HD activated by Rogers that was not purchased/rented from Rogers, or their authorized distributor. The only exception I've heard is someone moving from another cable area.

If you wish to check into this further, get the serial number of the eBay STB and call Rogers to see if they'll activate. The answer will very likely be NO, based on the information on this forum.

If you look at the Digital Deals forum, the SA8300HD has occasionally been priced at $499.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm curious - has anyone purchased a used SA 8300HD from the US and got it to work on the Rogers network?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I'm curious - has anyone purchased a used SA 8300HD from the US and got it to work on the Rogers network?
That's a sure way to lose money...

Rogers and any other cable company will upload STB's and DVR's that are configured to deal with their encoding. They either sell them direct or through authorized retailers. And each unit carry the cable company logo on the front of its chassis.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
The answer is NO, Rogers will not activate "outside" SA STBs. Threads merged, please read previous posts in this thread.

You can currently purchase a Rogers STB for $499, perhaps $450 with a $50 coupon deal on occasion.

Outside Motorola STBs have been activated on Shaw, and other cable companies, however, not SA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are planning to buy off eBay, do not just ask the Rogers tech dept to check if the serial # is valid. You must also ask them to verify if the ser# is in their inventory list (the list which they compile containing all ser# of units shipped to futureshop, best buy, etc..)

If you just ask them to check if the ser# is okay, they will usually say "Well we don't have it in our system but yeah, probably it will." This is the misleading reply I got today. They said they have no way to check if the ser# is rejected until the Sales dept attempts to activate the unit. My friend got the same response but in his situation, it was worse --- he was assured OK and he bought the unit, only to find out that the unit could not be activated.

I was lucky that my friend came across this otherwise I would have pulled the trigger to buy the SA8300HD (which is currently on eBay selling from a person in Toronto... he has only been able to power it on, non-refundable purchase if you win, ... hmm suspicious?). My first call to Rogers said that it was OK. My second call I asked to check inventory -- they said no. That pretty much confirmed what I suspected about this auction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts