Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a GPS a few days ago to help navigate around Chicago. Its a Sony NV-U83T, it works great. I am not sure though if I would need to update the maps or any of the software when I return to Toronto next week.
It has Canadian and US maps but I am not sure how uptodate they are.
Any ideas will be helpful.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model, but most use North America maps so I suspect it will be fine. In the menu somewhere you should be able to see the last update date or date of the map, the Garmin's have that option.

As an easy check, just punch in somne addresses that you know and potentially some newer areas of town.

Absolute worst case I suspect you could pay for an update......

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
After 15 seconds of searching on the Sony site.

Pre-Loaded Maps and Content
The NV-U83T comes pre-loaded with Map Content covering the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For updated (newer) maps ( and software...) depending of the manufacturer of the GPS you can:

- Do not get any updates whatsoever ( many small, or no name GPS).
- Get some updates for free, maybe once in a year or two (after that the device is usually not supported anymore).
- Pay for a new set of maps, usually once a year (Garmin). They support devices for many years.
- Hack your device and get warez maps and software updates. You need to know what you are doing ( you can brick your unit in some cases), and spend a lot of time...This usuallty works for WinCE based devices only, as the code and software is very close to WinMobile used in PDA and smart phones.

Anyway, at best you can find updates at most once a year, and for most of devices you can not get (legally) maps for different countryes than the one included initially in your release.

In some cases it may be cheaper and easyer to by every 2 years a new GPS (prices have dropped considerably in the last year).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Sony in Canada will be shipping an update Disk to my Toronto address. The unit that I have also have Canadian map preloaded, but perhaps the update for Canada may have some other enhancements for Canada. So far I am happy with the large screem (4.8 in) and the split screen. The battery is lousy though - just two hours of usage and you need to charge it again. I guess, I'll have to leave it on the car chager all the time.

I'll provide an update to this post when I get the new disk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sony NV-U83T - an update

Came back on Monday and have been trying out the Nav Unit. The preloaded maps were the correct ones for Canada! I did not need to load any updates at all. I've been using the unit around Toronto and the surbubs (Scarbourough to Oshawa) - so far its great. I went to a newly developed part of Ajax this afternoon ( buyers are still moving in) and the unit got the location correctly.

I have never used a GPS before, so I am not sure what to make of the fact that this unit always wants to take me through the higway (HWY401). Once I turned onto the side streets though, it recalculates and gets me to where I am going. The NV-U83T has an option that records or shows your drive or route history on the map. I noticed that if I am close to a route that I've used previously, it shows it on the map with dots. The split map display is awesome !

The dash mount that comes with the unit works great too. It has the Traffic Report antenna build in. The suction cup has a soft gel that stick to the dash and a lock to keep it inplace.
Thats all folks !

·
Banned
173 Posts
GPS

I know my Gamin Nuvi I have a chouce between fastest route and the shortest route. (though it gets confused sometimes). Pehaps that is why it tends to lead you to the freeway. Check your menu for the type of prefered route.

Garmin does not supply map upgrade for free, somewhere aroung $70, I have had mine for 2 years and my street/subdivision is not on the maps. It just made it on mapquest and google maps this summer.

The Garmin firmware will be updated for free. I download from garmin's web site and connect it USB and update it. Painless.

Great things aren't they?

Bill

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have never used a GPS before, so I am not sure what to make of the fact that this unit always wants to take me through the higway (HWY401).
In addition to the fastest or shortest route options mentioned by billw, many GPSr's (I don't know about Sony's) allow you to select "avoidances" for their routing calculations, such as highways, toll roads, unpaved roads, ferries, etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The settings in the Sony unit for modifying route planning are:
1 - Standard
2. - Avoid Toll Roads and
3 - Avoid Toll Roads (shortest)

There are no futher explanations as to the impact of either one. I think I may have to try going to work on each one to find the difference. Toll Roads are more common in the US, not in Canada. The 407 is the only one that I am aware of even in the whole of Ontario. Any comments ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts