Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a MBP 13" in October and did not buy Applecare right away. I have read that one can purchase Applecare through Ebay for much less. My questions are
1. If I buy the Applecare from a US seller can I still use it to warranty my Canadian bought MBP?
2. Are there any warnings anyone may have for doing it this way.
Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
When you buy Applecare you get a shrink wrapped box with a CD and a reg number. You go online and and type your reg number in and the serial number of your Mac. That's how Applecare is registered to your product and that's how you get the extended warranty on the Mac.

If you buy it at an Apple store at the time of the purchase they'll do that for you. If you buy at an Apple reseller then you'll have to do it yourself.

That's what I know about Applecare. I stay away from deals that are too good to be true from eBay sellers. Or buying a warranty specifically for a US product and trying to apply it to a Canadian product.

Afterall, Apple is servicing your product, not the guy from ebay, me or anyone else on DHC. If you have questions about a warranty product call 1-800-MY-APPLE and ask them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read in a forum that some people have had problems with Applecare purchased through ebay and some have been very satisfied. So you "might" get a good deal. You could purchase, register and then after a couple of days call Applecare for help. You would then know if your package was valid. If not then lodge a complaint or whatever you do in these cases for eBay.

Some people mention buying through amazon.com (american site) which sometimes have good prices.

Also if you qualify, educational pricing is available for Applecare.

Good Luck

Bob

ps I always buy Applecare but never had to use it on 4 laptops through the years.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I recommend Applecare and Time Machine to everyone. Used Applecare twice. Once on a Dual G4 PPC that had the mobo replaced twice. Last time was on a intel iMac. Hard drive crashed, brought in for repair, got the machine back 2 days later, plugged in the time machine external drive and restored the machine and didn't lose a minutes worth of work. It was magic.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I concur with all the cautions above about buying on eBay, especially if it's anything more than 10-15% off list. A reputable dealer still has to make a profit over Apple's wholesale price. Amazon.com often does sell within that kind of discount for Apple products and it's easy to find if they will ship that product to Canada at the same price. If you have a US mailing address and credit card, there should be no problem.

I recommend calling Apple to confirm if there are any issues applying a US AppleCare serial number to a machine sold in Canada (they will know by the computers serial). I wouldn't expect a problem within North America but best to check first because once you open the shrink-wrap box it would be hard to return. There are different telephone numbers and call centres for the USA and Canada.

I definitely would not buy AppleCare on Craig's List or similar sites.

AppleCare has been a saviour with my MacBook (first version of the black one. I have had lots of hardware issues which I attribute to a new model. AppleCare has paid for 2 hard drives outside the one-year warranty and replaced the plastic palm rest when a crack developed at 2-1/2 years. There also was a heat-sink repair in the first year which was more of a "re-call"; when I went into the Apple Store, at Toronto Eaton Centre, there were 6 of us with the same repair. Despite these issues with my first Mac, my next computer will definitely be another Mac.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did quite a bit of research about buying Applecare on ebay because the prices are so much less than what Apple charges - close to half many times.

What I eventually learned is that one can buy the Applecare registration number from some hackers in China for $25.- or so !!!
Apparently someone has managed to crack the algorithm that generates the registration code.

So the following happens:
You buy the registration code off ebay and get an email with the registration number (which most likely is one of those fake "China" numbers - why would they not send you the proper box if you ask for it and pay the shipping?
The Ebay auction always gives you that song and dance that shipping is not necessary.
So you try to register the code.
Now, unless Apple has also generated that same registration number AND has shipped it to a retailer AND a customer has already bought and registered it - everything is fine, your code gets registered and you actually get Applecare service if you need it.
Apple is never the wiser that your code may have been a fake.
Problem happens when someone else buys the same registration number.
This could happen any time, a month later a year later or two years later.
When duplicate Applecodes show up, it gets flagged to Apple and now Apple tries to figure out who has the valid code.
They do that by asking for a legitimate receipt or the serial number on the Applecare box.
With the Ebay purchase via email only - you of course have neither.
The other person probably has the box and/or receipt - his Applecare gets issued, yours gets cancelled.
Not only are you out the money you paid your ebayer - you now can't even buy a replacement Applecare because you're probably past the one year time frame for purchase and the you have also probably left positive feedback for the ebayer as well.
I know a few people who were caught in this scam and lost their Applecare - surprising that Ebay choses to do nothing about that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
iPod Touch Applecare

Purchased a 32GB iPod Touch without an Applecare warranty, since I had an older version iPod Video and never had any issues with it, it is now over 3 yrs old. Last fall they had a clearance of Applecare for iPods at the Source for less than $15.00. Decided to buy one for my iTouch which was almost a year old, registered it with Apple and this week the battery won't hold a decent charge, and Apple will now replace the battery at no charge. Glad I bought the warranty on sale, but wouldn't pay full price for an Applecare warranty.

I have had a number of Apple products, going back to the original iMac, and have never had a problem with their products - until now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts