Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy a phone in the US (I want to buy a HTC Desire HD), am I able to put my Rogers SIM card into it and have it working worry-free in Canada? If not, what do I need to do?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Almost all cell phones are locked to a specific carrier, which means a SIM from another carrier will not work. You'll have to research if this phone can be unlocked and how. Once you do that, you'll also have to figure out how to get O/S updates as Rogers won't give them to you.

Finally, a phone made for any carrier besides AT&T might not work with Rogers perfectly. For example, you might only get Edge instead of 3G for data.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Phonearena.com shows the UMTS (3G) frequencies for the HTC Desire HD to be 900/2100 -- however, for Rogers they are 850/1900. You'd probably have better luck with connecting that phone to Telus or Bell HSPA networks.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
^^^

Not true. Bell and Telus use the same HSPA/UMTS frequencies as Rogers (850 & 1900). Here's the breakdown for compatibility.

AT&T -> Rogers/Fido/Telus/Bell (all with 3G support
T-Mobile -> WIND 3G / Rogers & Fido 2G only (EDGE)
Sprint -> None
Verizon -> None

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA technology, and while Bell and Telus do also have a CDMA network, they will not activate such a device from another carrier.

WhitbyTerry is correct that the phone would need to be unlocked first as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not true. Bell and Telus use the same HSPA/UMTS frequencies as Rogers (850 & 1900) ...
Thanx for clarifying that HSPA uses the same frequencies as UMTS.

So ... you're saying that even if this phone is obtained unlocked, 2G and EDGE is the only support the OP will find in Canada for this phone(?)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
As far as I know this is a European only phone. The version sold in Europe will not be 3G compatible in Canada, you could use for for 2G service only on Rogers/Fido/Chatr.

If an American carrier has it then it likely has different frequencies and that version might work, but to my knowledge no American carriers have it yet.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
how to get O/S updates as Rogers won't give them to you
While Rogers won't give them to you, they're still available from the original source. I've received a couple of Android updates from my Google Nexus One, as well as several app updates.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
if this phone is obtained unlocked, 2G and EDGE is the only support the OP will find in Canada
I have an unlocked Google Nexus One, which runs fine, including 3G, on Rogers.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
That's because your Nexus One supports HSPA 850/1900. The Desire HD which the OP was referring to does not. Thus, only 2G GSM/EDGE would be available in Canada.

Unless a different version is released (like the original Desire), no Canadian carrier will support 3G on the HTC Desire HD. Only Rogers/Fido/Chatr can support it in 2G.

Updates would still be available, but they may not come OTA, and you would be at the mercy of a carrier in another country to release it. The Nexus One is different in that updates come directly from Google. At the moment, all other phones must pass manufacturer and then carrier certification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts