Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to sign up for a monthly service online but I don't want to use my name. Moreover, it is advertised as a US only service, and I would in fact use it mainly when visitng the US. What is the best legal way to do this? Would a prepaid anonymous gift card purchased in the USA enable me to do this?

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is no problem using a pseudonym so long as there is no intent to defraud.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I am asking is whether an online purchase can be made with a valid credit card without providing the name on the card or by using a name that does not match that on the credit card. I just want to keep my identity as secret as possible. BTW, the amount of the monthly charge is only about $20.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I once received a gift card that was a prepaid credit card. I had to go on line and enter my "info" (name, address, etc.) to be able to use it online (to use it at a store, there was no need to do this). On line, I suppose you could enter any name you like. Not sure if it would check for a valid address (likely postal code would need to match city, etc.) Then you could sign up for the service using that prepaid card with the name/address you entered on line.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Setup a PayPal account.

The merchant will not see the credit card details and will only see your provided email address.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The online service that I want to subscribe to does not accept Paypal, it only accepts major credit cards. Still looking for a solution.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Most of these services will accept any card as long as you provide a valid US address. That can be a PO Box as long as shipping is not involved. Not sure how the credit card company will handle this but you may be able to register the PO Box as a second address.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The prepaid credit card option didn't work?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know anything about the virtual credit card called wwwcard (world wide wallet)? Seems like exactly what I want.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased a vanilla visa gift card when in the USA, and will try to use it when I get back to Canada. It cannot be used for recurring purchases, though, and there are some reports on the internet that it doesn't always work for online purchases. I'm still waiting for some info on wwwcard, as it might be better. Anone had any experiences with it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts