Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has used any of the Bushnell BackTrack series GPS units. I read about problems with inaccuracies with them if you don't reset/reorient the GPS settings each time you turn them on. Any first hand info would be appreciated and please reveal the unit type used.

DLPnut

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't have any first hand knowledge but those Trackbacks are just digital compasses that allow you to mark waypoints so you know what direction to walk in to find your way back to your destination. They aren't what most people think of when you mention GPS.

With all digital compasses you need to reorient them every time you intend to use them if they've been powered down. In this case because you are likely to turn it off until you need to find your way back to your destination you will need to reorient it when you turn it back on to use it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Backtrack manufacturer response

Gino. This is what I received from Bushnell.

The calibration process for the compass and the directional arrow should only need to be done once in a while. It should not need to be recalibrated each time you use the unit. If your unit is experiencing an issue where you must recalibrate every time you turn on the unit, please return the unit to us for repair/replacement. Our repair facility information is posted on our website at the following link http://www.bushnell.com/global/customer-service/us-repair-services/ .

Please be aware that not everything you see online shows the true story. We work very hard to product high quality products and have many quality control features in place to make sure product works correctly for our customers. However, occasionally the product does fail out of the box. Often times people will post negative reviews online without ever contacting us for help or support. These people are a minority but as they sometimes appear as the only “voices” out there it can lead to misinformation and exaggerated negative reviews.

We would love to assist you with any issues or feedback you would like to give us and you can respond directly back to me at this email address.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well, let me put it to you this way. If I had decided to go for a hike in the bush I would calibrate it before I got started and marked my starting point. If I decided to turn it off to preserve battery power while on the hike I wouldn't find the need to re-calibrate it once I'd turned it back on to find my way back since I'd just calibrated it a few hours earlier that same day.

Now, if a week or two or more goes by and I decide to go on another hike I would calibrate it again before that hike begins.

Also, watch the video tutorial about calibrating the BackTrack on the Bushnell web site. Note what they say at the end of the video.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/instruction-videos/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts