Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi as a newbie I've been lurking and reading...I was wondering if anyone had tried building a reflector for the RCA ant751. I have been looking at doing this mod and was wondering if in the experience of many on this board it would be worthwhile... I'll probably pick up a CM4228 in a few weeks ...but I like tinkering...I was thinking corner or parabolic, BTW a queen size bedspring doesn't really work all that great... If this post is in the wrong section I apologise...

·
Registered
597 Posts
That antenna is a small Yagi style antenna which already has a reflector element on it. Not saying it maybe couldn't be improved for a particular channel but probably not much and most likely at the expence of reception other channels.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
.but I like tinkering...I was thinking corner
You could try a big corner reflector on it. Just get the biggest piece of 2" X 4" mesh fencing sectional piece you can and bend it in half. Corner reflectors need to be at least 1.5 X the wavelength wide and long to really start becoming into their own. (wider and longer than the existing reflector on it) But the bigger the better. :p And then experiment with the element to corner distance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reflector

Thanks, I did see a yagi though that had corner reflectors the Winegard 9095P ...thats why I thought it might help, because mine seems to have lost a little signal < 34 & SNR <16 so I've lost channels (coincidently since I installed the cm9521A rotor) and I did notice it picks up signal from the rear so I thought this might filter that out some...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That antenna is a small Yagi style antenna which already has a reflector element on it. Not saying it maybe couldn't be improved for a particular channel but probably not much and most likely at the expence of reception other channels.
RCA ANT-751 is a Log-Yagi, where the back two elements are BOTH ACTIVE, interconnected by a
crossover feedline (like the YA-1713). Hence it does NOT have any passive reflector element(s).

Since the ANT-751 already has about 10 dB F/B Ratio, I would be surprised if a reflector could
"redirect" very much of what little rearward gain there is towards the front. Probably wouldn't
see much more than a dB or so of Gain improvement....on SOME freqs.....and perhaps worse on others.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just tried using the reflector from a spare cm4228hd on the back of stacked rca ant751 and it seemed to help a little maybe 1-2 db.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts