1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Canadians who lament the often heavy hand of the CRTC can see from this article that U.S. stations also face some regulatory barriers regarding their own programming choices:
when local stations first went to digital transmission, both his station and WIVB, showed weather radar on a vacant digital channel, but ran into a problem with the FCC programming requirements.
That "3 hours of kids programming" rule seems increasingly odd in this day and age.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Perhaps the FCC should amend its rules to state the three hours should be on *one* of the multiplexed channels on a frequency? Not being American, I am not sure I can comment on that.

Rogers looking at ThinkBright is news to me, as well. Would they be looking at that as a sub-channel of CITY or the Omni twins, or is this on their cable BDU?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
That's referring to Rogers' BDU services. Thinkbright is not a Canadian network so it would not be allowed OTA in Canada as is.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rogers wanted to add Think Bright to its cable offerings but it was turned down by the CRTC. There is another thread in Digital Home that mentions who intervened to argue against Rogers' request.

What I found interesting about this newspaper article is how it is a challenge to make money with the subchannels and how most stations are playing wait-and-see with other possible uses of the spectrum (mobile TV for phones, selling their spectrum for other uses - wireless broadband). My hope is there is a business model for digital subchannels so we can have more programming options. My fear is that if regulators allow broadcasters to lease-out their unused spectrum for other purposes, then there will be no future for subchannels unless they can prove to be better income generators than re-purposing the spectrum.

The article also makes it pretty clear that there doesn't seem to be any intention amongst any of the other Buffalo TV stations to add anymore subchannels in the near future.

It should motivate everyone to spread the word about OTA TV and be vocal about it. Make sure broadcasters know you're watching their channels more than before since you went OTA.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The FCC rule on children's programming is good. The problem occurs when the local station doesn't know how to program it. WCAX-DT in Burlington,VT runs a local Weather and news headline service they call WCAXtra on their 3.2 sub-channel. They have placed their children's programming each day at 1pm for thirty minutes. Nice way to break it up during the week.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
That's referring to Rogers' BDU services. Thinkbright is not a Canadian network so it would not be allowed OTA in Canada as is.
Fortunately WNED is easily received throughout the GTA over to Kitchener, Barrie and surrounding areas.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
I'm disappointed to see that WNLO or WIVB don't have plans for sub-channels. I was hoping that Antenna TV would make an appearance in the area....using one of these stations.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mobile TV seems interesting to me. If people are clever enough to realize this is OTA TV - not 3G etc. - then that has the chance of significantly raising people's awareness about regular OTA TV - and that would be a good thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts