Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is designed to track outages at the BTV uplink in Toronto which affect the entire country

Since there was only one confirmed outage in 2013 and two in 2014, we'll continue this thread into 2015

Here are similar threads from previous years:

BTV 2012 Outages Thread - Please Read Post 1 Before Posting - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums 2012

BTV 2011 Outages Thread - Please read post 1. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums 2011

BTV 2010 Outages Thread (There goes the 99.99% availability) See Post 1. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums 2010

Weather outages can be caused by poor weather over your area, or poor weather over the BTV Uplink facility, located in Toronto. This thread is to track outages that affect the entire country due to weather or other problems at the uplink.

Please see and use the links below for Toronto radar if you have an outage. Please also report the amount of time that your location was "down".

Weather Radar - King City, ON - Environment Canada

Intellicast - Current Radar in Cadillac, Michigan

Uplink Outage Dates & Times:

To be completed as outages occur. Times listed are Toronto times.

2013.07.08, 5:00 PM, ~½ hour, Record rain & thunderstorms in Toronto,

2014.06.17, 6:30PM, ~½ hour, Heavy rain and thunderstorms in Toronto

2014.08.04, 3:30PM, ~½ hour, Heavy rain and thunderstorms in Toronto

2015.06.23, Around Midnight. Heavy rain and thunderstorms in Toronto.

If you wish to find other previous similar threads, do a search for "rain snow fade". If your location was down for significantly longer than other people indicate in this thread, then you should consider re-aiming your dish and/or getting a larger dish.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for reporting. Only 1/2 as much rain as last week in that hour. I suspect if you re-aim your dish your outages won't be quite as long. Also, if you're near the uplink, the effect of the rain would be double - once up, once down.

Have other people seen the same rain fade - just to confirm?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect then that jnhto has a poorly aligned dish. No one else reported these outages and they are extremely long. I'm not that far away from the uplink and although the rains were quite heavy for a while, they were not heavy enough for over an hour outages, especially this week.

I'm going to remove the second instance from post 1 based on post 9 feedback and will consider removing the first one too, unless others can confirm the first outage last week (that rain was quite heavy).

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I have had calls from Customers all over Ontario today including one BDU that lost all signals, so I believe that the issue was the up-link signal, as the customers are separated by over 400kms.

I had just re-booted 72 receivers and got no signal, I was about to start troubleshooting when I heard the rain on the roof. Signals eventually came back, I just sat and had a Coffee.....lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
No Bell satellite in Lethbridge and one of the OTA stations (CITY) is broadcasting a satellite signal standby error.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Everything out here in Victoriaville QC. Checked the radar around TO and yes they are having a thunderstorm then the whole country goes dark

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for reporting. Very heavy rain and thunderstorms in Toronto, so the uplink is down and no-one will be able to view BTV until it clears.

Please see post 1 for the radar links. I will add this instance to post one since it has been corroborated by many people.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts