Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

841 - 860 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't think they'll ever do that because apparently they need a 'safety buffer'. I'd like to see the font size slightly smaller as well (like shown below), then almost nothing would be cut-off.

They still have a LONG ways to go if they want to compete with the DishNet guides in the states. I don't even know if Bell's guide is HD because the fonts and edges just don't look that sharp. It almost looks like the guide is still 480, especially when you contrast it with what DishNet is doing, clearly their guide is 720 or 1080 resolution it's so sharp. They even get channel logos, which would be nice.

Dish Hopper Receiver:

VIP 922:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I've noticed that new episodes of a show have the word NEW at the end of the program description. I think that's new?

I've also noticed that more shows have episode information now. For example many of the HGTV shows that I record did not and my 9242 would end up recording them as new. Now they have original air date and an episode number (which is often way off - in the 5000 range). Anyway, it's better than it was.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Is this new. I often see weird episode numbers and no dates on shows.
What I have found once so far is a timer set to record weekly the same show, not going to record next weeks show. It says it is the incorrect program, but the program has the same name. It was river monsters on DISC 1602. I restored next week's event and will wait to see what happens after that.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've noticed a few things starting on Sunday:

#1 - Sports are not always showing teams. For example, my guide use to say "HD - NHL Hockey - Toronto at Montreal" is now just showing "NHL Hockey" for almost every game. Same goes for CFL, NFL, etc. I miss having the teams in the title!!!

#2 - Got rid of "HD" in front of every HD program

#3 - Program numbers almost all start with a 5 or 50. For example, last week was episode 27, now this week's is episode 5028.

#4 - Harder to find new shows. A lot of shows I watch on History now have the original air date in the U.S., not the original air date in Canada.

#5 - A lot of shows have shortened names now. "HD - ESPN 30 For 30" is now just "30 For 30". This messes with some timers.

#6 - All "new" or first airings have "NEW" at the end of the program description.

#7 - Most shows have a year (2014) in the description.

#8 - Channels that didn't have show descriptions (Spike for example) now have show descriptions and details rather than generic info.

I don't like the changes myself - the only one I like is getting rid of "HD" in front of the program description of HD shows.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you used "Groups" you will see that new episodes will be outside the "Group" Folder, so just keep an eye open for that. Mrs Pinza was just cursing about this.

This Web Site might come in handy for working out which Episode is next in sequence;

http://epguides.com/

·
Registered
328 Posts
So Bell solved one problem by cleaning up the guide of "HD" tags, then created about 6 or 7 new ones? Nice.

I just wanted the HD tags removed and maybe slightly smaller font, was the rest of this stuff necessary.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes it was. How do you think they keep their jobs ?

It really is unbelievable how they never seam to be able to see the problems they will create.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've encountered similar problems with recording or auto-tuning regular news shows. For example, if I set to record the evening news Monday - Friday, the first show will be recorded then the others will be skipped as "duplicate event" or "already in PVR". I can manually restore the skipped events, but this seems to restore only about a week's worth of skips.

·
Registered
114 Posts
"HD" Removed from Title of Programs on Guide

Not that this was ever a big deal, but has anyone noticed how recently, Bell has removed the "HD-" wording in front of the program titles on the guide?

It was kind of redundant having it, especially since it shows HD or H in the name of the channel on the left-side anyway, but I guess the reasoning behind it was because not all programs on an HD channel are actually broadcast in HD.

Anyways, seems like it's gone now. Eh... still waiting for a guide like the one the Hopper has... at least something to compete with Shaw, especially now that Shaw has the logos in it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bell is using a new provider for their guide but that provider doesn't include their PPV info. As such their ppv info is still coming from in house sources and thus, still has the HD- tag.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I looked at the some of the various PPV channels in the IPG on Bell last night and couldn't find a single HD prefix. Can someone give me an example (channel#?)? I may have missed them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't like this new guide. It only show NFL Football, College Football etc. It doesn't show who is playing until you press the info button on your remote.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Do you really have to press info to find out who is playing whom? Doesn't the team information appear at the top left of the guide when you highlight the game listing in the IPG? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@ cyclist

Don't like it either. We used to scroll through the guide and know at a glance which teams were playing. Now it's CFL FOOTBALL, NFL FOOTBALL.

In the case of the NFL, Bell sometimes has 4 games at 1PM. So this way it looks like it's all the same game. Not too smart since they paid a lot of dough to aquire those rights and now also have 2 4PM games.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Do you really have to press info to find out who is playing whom? Doesn't the team information appear at the top left of the guide when you highlight the game listing in the IPG? Am I missing something?
It depends on the model of your receiver. On my 5900 there is no description until you press info. The 9242 has a description.

841 - 860 of 887 Posts