Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

821 - 840 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
@colinpeddle, lets say you're right and there are limitations to what Bell can and cannot do with the current IPG, modifying the existing version from 3 hours to 2 1/2 hours, removing the HD tag in front of HD programming and reducing the font size a pt or 2 should still be easy to accomplish.

The 16x9 feature is probably the biggest stumbling block of my 4 suggestions as stated in prior posts, however the other three are merely cosmetic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think if Bell went from a 3 hour IPG with 6 columns to a 2 1/2 hour one with 5 columns, got rid of the HD, stretched the guide to 16x9 and reduced the size of the font 1 or 2 pts, these changes would allow the user to see most if not all the program info in the IPG. Just my opinion.
It's not 6 columns, there's 7. And if you look at other providers, they can EASILY fit 3 hrs of programming it. Just look at how they are able to do it. Simply removing the HD tags and making the font smaller would almost accomplish it in itself. Just look at how clear the SD programming is without the HD tags everywhere.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Has an update come down or something? Both of my 9242's have been bootlooped at least once the past two or three days requiring them both to be unplugged for a period of time, similar to how they were reacting when the updates were in the stream.

They'd been fine the past 8 months or more, except a couple bumps in the road (which also happened when the 2nd guide update hit).

·
Registered
328 Posts
My receiver has been skipping to live the past few days. This was never really an issue for me before. Maybe it's just coincidence, 'i don't know.

BELL TV did told me they were hoping to have new guide out by the new year, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have noticed some slow reactions on my 9242 over the last few days. I unplugged it two ago for a similar to see if that would help. It seemed to help for a time.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Haven't noticed any difference in the operation of my 9242 up to now. Current software version is V195. Our area is never the first to get new updates.

·
Registered
420 Posts
fickle EPG paging

Has anyone noticed that ever since the "new" EPG software that their 6141 receiver (or possibly others, as well) sort of jumps back at random when you're browsing? This is hard to explain, so I'll use a hypothetical example: say I'm watching channel 1010, press guide, page up to channel 1566, then while checking the program/event info for some channels near that part of the EPG that obviously involves a number of left/right/up/down selections, suddenly for no reason, it jumps way back to a view of one page above the channel I'm still tuned to, that being 1010. This doesn't happen with any predictable pattern, but it's a PITA and jarring when your placeholder location in the EPG seems to intermittently get thrown about. It's not a problem with the remote control since there's no way to force your current EPG view to a completely different position beyond moving one page at a time. I never remember the "old" EPG doing this. But, of course, if I report it to Bell, they'll try to tell me that my receiver is faulty even though every other function works just fine... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
My 9400 has done this for a month or so now.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have notice similar reactions on my 9242, only it jumps back to the guide for the channel I was tuned to, not just a page.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes, jdevlin, that is what mine does, back to where I started.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That used to be the only time it did it but lately it does not matter, although I have noticed that it is only if I am in the guide for an extended period of time, say 4 or 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I notice that sometimes it also seems to jumps 1/2 hour also. I thought it might at a time change but I think it also happens other times as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Both my 9241's have jumped back to the channel I'm watching since I can remember. I don't remember the 9242 I had a couple of years ago doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bell TV Guide issue

Hi,

Is there other people with a strange TV Guide? On all my receivers, the shows have strange episode numbering, like 5004 instead of episode 42. And the date of the episodes are now 1 year back instead of now. So I have to review all my scheduling and force recording of new episodes that I want to record every week. This is insane... :confused:

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just scrolling through the guide and don't see any HD tags in front of the programming, what a difference, looks much cleaner and easier to read.

·
Registered
328 Posts
@John66 Yup, I noticed they did that on a few select channels (1600-1700 range) a couple months ago, probably to see if people would notice. I called in and complimented them and said they should do that for all of the HD channels.

I noticed yesterday they finally did that. I actually couldn't figure out what was missing, all I kept saying to myself was "man, I can actually read programs now!!", took me a few seconds to realize it was the HD tags gone that did it!.

About time. Bell has HD tags on the left-side channel boxes that are in hi-def. That's all a customer needs. Glad to see a less cluttered guide!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now if only Bell could stretch the guide to the width of the screen that would be the icing on the long awaited cake... or is that too much to ask.

821 - 840 of 887 Posts