Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As discussed in the following thread, BTV was advertizing 99.99% reliability.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126345

I see that the ad in today's Globe now states 99.9%. Could we have had an impact? Could this be a typo? Their website still states 99.99.

Edit. I moved this to a new thread since discussions were going off topic of the original thread on BTV outage tracking.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Acceptable if you are Bell or never happen to watch when it is out. If it is true and not a typo, outages have increased by 10 TIMES! I wish my bank account would increase at that rate, I could afford to pay my Bell bill!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be only one uplink facility for the whole BellTV system. That means if there is any significant issue at that facility, be it bad weather, power outage, fire, flood, etc., all BellTV subscribers will be in the dark until the situation is rectified.
I'm sure its cost. As weird as it sounds, I doubt cable companies or Shaw direct have redundant facilities

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is true and not a typo, outages have increased by 10 TIMES!
Outages haven't increased by a factor of 10, but, as discusssed in the other thread, they may have been hit with false advertizing if they persisted with the 99.99% claim (or at least misleading marketing).

After all, who cares what % of the time their satellite has a signal. What people care about is how much outage there is at their home. The 99.9% number probably reflects a good average (provided it's not a typo in the Globe). That equates to just under 10 hours, which is reasonable based on the feedback we've seen on this forum. The 99.99% was under 1 hour, which is not achievable (even at the sat), without a redundant uplink.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My in laws have Bell TV and they are not impressed. When it rains the sound and picture are horrible. If they are home they end up switching to watching old VHS movies. The worst is if the PVR was recording their favourite show when it was raining it is unwatchable. Fibre to Home is the future for Bell.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In computer terms 4 nines = 52.56 minutes downtime per year or a little over 1 minute a month of outage. This is usually calculated outside agreed service windows and scheduled downtime.

Bell website does indeed claim 99.99% service:
Digital television you can count on - 99.99% signal availability on our satellites year-round
I sent them an email inquiry as I could find no details or the fine print on the site. Will advise if I get a reply.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've lost signal maybe 5 to 6 times this year due to extreme down poors which could last from 15min to near an hour. I've never just lost signal during the day or night when local weather was clear. Maybe I missed all those Toronto storms while watching TV. So I guess I've probably lost about 4 ~ 6 hours, thats why you always keep stuff in the PVR :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had Bell TV since November of 2007 and I have only lost my signal 10 times. Those times would have been either through Pure Black skies that turn into a downpour, or if snow was caked to my dish due to temperatures above freezing but snow is still falling due to cold air temperatures. My theory is, if you have satellite expect outages.....at least my service is more reliable and better quality than Cogeco in Chatham.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
My in laws have Bell TV and they are not impressed. When it rains the sound and picture are horrible. If they are home they end up switching to watching old VHS movies. The worst is if the PVR was recording their favourite show when it was raining it is unwatchable. Fibre to Home is the future for Bell.
They need to get the system checked out, this is due most likely to a low signal.

Bell TV is Digital, so the Audio and Video will either be there, or not, with very little in between these two extremes. I would abe looking at how the STB is connected to the TV, you would be surprised how many are just using Coax on Channel 3......

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
In the time I had BTV May 1999 to Dec 2007 I lost my signal several times during heavy down pours. But when itt rain "average" no problem.

I also had 2 24" dishes as well sihgnal 95+ on most trs.

Each provider has its issues SD & BTV have rain fader
cable has SDV issues

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Bell's Ad needs only some fine print.

They can keep the current ad,
Digital television you can count on - 99.99%* signal availability on our satellites year-round
they just need to add an asterisk.

*plus or minus 900%

Don't get me wrong, I have had Bell since the days of Dish Network Canada and somethings are "Out Of Control" of people and overall have been satisfied with the service, as long as they are not portaying it as something they can't deliver. After all it could be worse, http://www.intelsat.com/resources/galaxy-15/operational-status.asp

·
Registered
74 Posts
I received a reply from Bell on my inquiry as to what & how they maintain the high average. No details provided however they stipulated in the 1st reply it was the downlink signal availability. The follow-up request for more clarification yielded this suggestion that I get a Bell Service. Does this sound like they are making me partly responsible to achieve 99.99%? :eek:

So Yes I suggest an * be present with details and expectations stated in the availability/signal quality claim...

Bell Satellite TV service can assure you of a good signal strength, because certified Bell technician will make sure to install the satellite dish where it can get an optimum signal strength. Like other provider, there are various reasons for losing your Bell TV satellite signal. Please refer to the list below:
- Rain fade
- Your dish needs to be repositioned
- Bad wiring or loose wire
- Receiver malfunction
- Defective LNBF

There are troubleshooting that needs to be done in occasions like this and recommendations are given to resolve technical issues. Please refer to the link below for further information regarding signal strength. http://support.bell.ca/en-on/TV/Receivers/my_bell_tv_signal_fluctuates

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There always has been an * or a number next to the reliability. The quoted reliability has always reflected the satellite uplink, not what the customer gets. However, even that (uplink) number was off by close to a factor of 10, hence the 99.9 instead of 99.99.

The downtime at a person's home would be roughly double the uplink number, if they're not right beside the uplink. This would provide for bad weather at their end and solar transits spring and fall. This assumes properly maintained and aimed equipment at the person's home. My guess would be roughly 10-20 hours per year, depending on location.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure that I have seen an * in the website advert so must be somewhere else. There appears to be no availability discussed in the agreement either.

10-20 hours outage? Probably not noticeable when offhours. Can't say my cable has been out that much in years.

Anyway, I get what your all saying that is a pretty hard claim to measure and sustain with all the variables.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bell website now has 99.99% and 99.9% - pretty sad. The 99.9% number has a 1 beside it. All the ads I've seen on bus shelters, buses and in papers have had the same disclaimer, but few people ever bother to read it, or understand it.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpTv_Dth_Landing.page

From the same BTV page, bolding is mine:

Digital television you can count on - 99.99% signal availability on our satellites year-round

With the largest satellite fleet in Canada, Bell Satellite TV is over 99.9% reliable.1 You can count on stunning HD picture quality, rain or shine.

(1) As of August 31, 2010. Annual average uplink and downlink transmission as measured at Bell TV's Toronto facility.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
99.99 and 99.9% Reliability

As 57 has noted the updated Bell website on signal reliability, but they didn't use an asterisk as I suggested but #'s so they can add on to it.
I predict in the future it will say....

99.99% (2)
99.9% (1)(3)

(1) As of August 31, 2010. Annual average uplink and downlink transmission as measured at Bell TV's Toronto facility.

(2) As measured at the Satellites and if you live on one of the Satellites.

(3) ands if you live with in the compound of the uplink station.

Still I am relatively satisfied with the reliability, and now more satisfied with their honesty, It just seems that the problems happen at the most inopportune(4) times.

(4) When I am watching!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts