Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Wondering if you might be able to help me with a small issue.
I recently purchased HDMI over CAT6 wall plates from Monoprice

I haven't been able to get a signal through with my Bell 6131 receiver. After reading through alot of the customer reviews, people talk about DirecTV receivers not having a strong enough HDMI signal strength to carry this distance. (35-40 feet)
I've also searched the internet and seen people commenting that the 2 CAT cables need to be the same length...(My cables are DIY, confirmed with a router and computer that they work) I have them very close to the same length, would 6-12 inches make a difference??

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Different devices do have different capabilities with regard to getting the signal through a long length. I doubt the 6-12" has any effect. Many people require HDMI repeaters when using long lengths of HDMI cable (more than 25') I'm not sure if this applies to long CAT6 lengths or only to long HDMI cables. The additional wall plate connections also lose some signal. You may wish to look into that option - the repeater needs to be put in the correct location and it's usually the opposite of what you think (it's the far end).

Other people with more experience with CAT6 should be along shortly to assist. Since this is more of an "install" issue, I'll move this thread to that forum

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a powered HDMI switch and can get intermitent signal...However
Quickly realize I have been using stranded RJ45 CAT connectors on solid cable.
I will cut and re-crimp and see how things go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts