Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was watching the soccer game on Bell TV at a family member's house and was incredibly shocked to lose the signal during extra time. The ridiculous monthly fees for what? I am very glad I have free digital OTA available at home and don't have to deal with losing my paid service during one of the biggest events of the year for me. At least if the OTA signal is lost (which I have never seen CBC drop out) its a case of you get what you pay for,

·
Super Moderator
56,637 Posts
While running past a bus shelter the other day I noticed the Bell ad said 99.99% reliable TV. In the Globe today, it said the same thing - with a "footnote".

The footnote reads:

Annual average uplink transmission, as measured at BTV's facility in Toronto.
So, I guess if it's transmitting, you must be watching TV. ;)

With the (single) uplink not getting through for several hours each year and the rain/snow fade at your home for several hours each year, I would guess that most people would more accurately have 99.9% reliable TV, one order of magnitude less (~9 hours).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went down here at the same time. Screen pixelated a few times and then went down. My 9242 went through the transponders a few times and then rebooted itself. It just came back as I was halfway through typing this.

·
Super Moderator
56,637 Posts
There's nothing strange about it. If you look at the weather links in this thread (post 11), you can always check the weather radar in Toronto where the uplink is. There was a huge rainstorm in Toronto, so, as always, the whole country is down because BTV only have one uplink, also discussed in this thread.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Why does it almost always seem to happen when I am just finishing a complicated Custom Installation......lol

I was just showing the Customer how to use the 9241 and whamo, nothing. Of course, this is only 40kms north of Toronto and no bad weather, the sun was actually shinning, so I start to think it is a DPP switch that has just failed.....

Come on Bell, get another Uplink Station going......

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was wondering why my TV went out in Durham, it was not even raining that hard, my signal went from 95% to 45%. This seems to be getting worse the past 6 months, I think there is bigger problems at Bell then the up link center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For some reason here in Montreal it seems like I can only connect to Nimiq 82. Is Nimiq 91 down? Looking at the map and there doesn't seem to be any clouds over Toronto atm...

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No Nimiq 91 is just fine here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I hope they plan to setup a second uplink....

When you make publicity about 99.99% availability....
you need to be sure that it will be at that level.

They are bringing a lot of people with the new packages and HD selection...
but they could lose it all just because of this

·
Registered
989 Posts
Outage in Halifax, with sunny weather, during final round of the PGA championship, with rain in Toronto.

I think it's about time Bell did something for a back-up!

41 - 60 of 131 Posts