·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mix fm ottawa - pirate radio saga

Looks like Ottawa's favourite pirate broadcaster is in the hot seat!

============

Teen under arrest was ‘like a child throwing a temper tantrum,’ court hears (April 01, 2011)

Accused radio pirate pushed officer during search, court hears (April 01, 2011)

DJ called police after death threat (March 31, 2011)

Broadcaster says teen pirate radio operator threatened to kill him (March 30, 2011)

============

What I find somewhat funny is that before he was charged, the media was announcing his name like he was a celeb, and now that he's officially charged, that can't say his name.

On another note, it's been a pretty interesting week for that family. There was recently a murder at that motel where MIX FM was... which (I assume) is the family business (link)

Here is the story, with the owner commenting... (link)

·
Registered
718 Posts
This little brat needs to have the book thrown at him. He's obviously incorrigable. I not even sure why the CRTC allowed him to broadcast illegally for so long in the first place when he was obviously breaking the law.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
The Toronto Sun has a different take at what happened in court. http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/03/31/17818151.html

Meanwhile I was looking for the original thread here on the site about this and it appears to have been 'locked' to access the thread. Perhaps cause of the case? Can an ADMIN confirm? Seems as if a few reliable sources who were writing about this may have had a subpoena issued.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I remember that thread while the pirate station was live. What I don't remember was the angle about threats to the DJ. Was that commonly known too?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What pisses me off is that little son of a bitch threatened in a verbal conversation to kill me, his old man threated me with a lawsuit and I was forced to take down perhaps one of my most popular thread when I did nothing wrong.

Hope they both rot in hell.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
BTW, the folks who should really be in jail over this is the negligent people at Industry Canada who refused to do their job and put these lawbreakers behind bars.

It infuriates that IC allowed them to continue and it is me that is barred from keeping perfectly legitimate stuff on my site, meanwhile these idiots are protected by law and incompetents at IC.

But as I guess MIX FM would say, "you all just a bunch of stupid canadians"

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
his old man threated me with a lawsuit
I didn't realize that. I thought it was the courts, because it still had to go to trial and also because he's a minor.

A minor? I doubt it.
You can be sure he won't be getting that equipment back. Also, those death threats are a criminal offence, unlike the radio violations.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
I am sure the kid could care less about his toys now. Unfortunately I don't think Hugh will get his wish fulfilled. I predict neither one of them will send so much as a single day incarcerated. I would be pleasantly surprised if they did though.

This circus has not left town yet.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I remember that thread. It was a pretty disturbing series of events what with this child's deliberate flaunting of the law with the alleged support of its father. But because the issue does deal with a minor currently in front of the courts, and because we do have laws preventing public disclosure of these individuals, if the child's legal representatives didn't ask that the thread be taken down, law enforcement officials would have asked for it just the same.

No way out of it Hugh. The thread had to be removed. Too much identifiable information.

As for the child's future, that's left to be determined. Despite being a minor, it's not impossible for the child to be held indefinitely on psychological grounds. As for the father however, he could be held responsible for pretty much everything that's transpired. But only if law enforcement officials and IC take action and prosecute him to the full extent of the law. Otherwise, their lack of action will give just about anyone permission to set up their own radio station just as long as the radio operators don't interfere with other frequencies or start threatening to kill people on the air.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hugh is the threat that was made against you part of the evidence in this case? If so I wonder if it is possible to present a victim impact statement in these proceedings...

Also let's be prepared for a sentence in the mental health care system as opposed to jail time.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The best line from the owner of the established, when questioned about a recent murder at the motel, is this quote from a 24Hours article:
"I run a legitimate business and have never had trouble before," XXXX said. "I don't know how this could happen."
I recall reading this on the bus the other week, and all I can think of at the time was "yah, right!".

I suppose actual murder is a different order of magnitude of "trouble" than death threats and illegal radiocommunications.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The thread had to be removed. Too much identifiable information.
I totally disagree. Everything on this site was on the public record.

Changing the facts is too Orwellian for me.

Hugh is the threat that was made against you part of the evidence in this case? If so I wonder if it is possible to present a victim impact statement in these proceedings...
Industry Canada, who are supposed to be protecting us, didn't care. They did nothing.

Why should I waste my time trying to prosecute two criminals that IC decided to ignore because it was Christmas and they didn't want to get off their butts and do anything?

Industry Canada is guilty of negligence. Once people at IC lose their job then I will worry about MIXFM.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Interesting that radio station, facebook and twitter accounts created by the station are still active.

MIXFM Radio
Twitter Feed
Facebook

Also this future hotel is still advertising itself as the home of 106.5 Mix Fm.

What I want to know is why the government is treating me like a criminal and forcing me to take down a forum thread and news articles surrounding this illegal enterprise, meanwhile the "alleged pirates" continue to keep their websites up and running?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts