Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"If you haven't got a stereo, I think if you have got kids you owe it to them to play them a vinyl disc in their lifetime because once they hear that and they get into it they will, I think, never get over that experience. It's such a wonderful experience.
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2011/04/05/17876771-wenn-story.html

OK I grew up in the 80s and I have a vague idea of who he is. But I think he is in for a shock if he thinks todays kids will find his music "a wonderful experience" on vinyl or any other media for that matter.

I know we have a few nostalgic Luddites hanging out here but the days of hooking up $99 phonographs to plastic Realistic speakers and claiming it was the Holy Grail of music are over. Just kidding. Or am I? :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've got a daughter, so I don't want that. I don't want her to be looking at an iPad, I want her to go to the library, get a book, order it, take it home, read it, cherish it, take it back. And that's tradition. (It's the) same with music. I want real records, real people. Plug in and play it.
Before recorded music wasn't it tradition to make your own music? Don't see piano parties coming back. Just another person yearning for the "good old days" of his youth. And he's kidding himself if he thinks his new album won't be available online somewhere.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Yeah ma, lets get into the horse and buggy so we can get to the Luddites meeting.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Jake said:
I know we have a few nostalgic Luddites hanging out here but the days of hooking up $99 phonographs to plastic Realistic speakers and claiming it was the Holy Grail of music are over. Just kidding. Or am I? :)
What kids really need is what we had growing up: A 45rpm "mangia-dischi" (record-eater), similar to the orange one at the top of this page. Now THAT was the Holy Grail of music! :cool:

The portability and accessibility of digital music, movies and literature is a wonderful thing. But there is something to be said for sitting in an easy chair and listening to a good CD, holding and reading a book, and watching a movie on a big screen.

YMMV. :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What's wrong with sitting in easy chair, listening to streamed music on your stereo, holding your e-book reader of choice?

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eljay that was a hoot. But what you describe is more suited to old people who have time to fiddle, stop moving for 5 minutes and focus on a single sound. :p

Finally, I am not sure if Ant has a problem with either the medium and the mechanism or both.

Some of my favorite music memories are listening to AM radio late at night coming in from half-way across the continent. So if you like snap crackle and pop laced soundtracks I highly recommend you try it. :cool:

·
Registered
390 Posts
What the kids really need is exposure to actual MUSIC. Be it vinyl, CD, MP3 or a trumpet. The crap being pushed today cannot be even considered "music".

Gone are the days when singers could actually sing a concert LIVE without autotune, lipsynch or being able to play an instrument.

I refuse to pay for a concert where they pretend to sing while doing cartwheels, huffing and puffing yet "sound" flawless, and try to charge me $200/ticket. I can watch MM or MTV for that (if I wanted to).

I do agree with Ant, however that the sound of a good vinyl with a good needle can sound far superior to digital- being that it's full and uncompressed. However, those days are long gone as you can't even buy either anyway, save for Audiophile stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Jake said:
... what you describe is more suited to old people who have time to fiddle, stop moving for 5 minutes and focus on a single sound. :p
Hey, that sounds like me...and I'm only 43! ;)

What's wrong with sitting in easy chair, listening to streamed music on your stereo, holding your e-book reader of choice?
Nothing at all. I never said there was.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The crap being pushed today cannot be even considered "music".
Thanks Grandpa! Damn that Rock and Roll music with kids gyratin' their pelvis. It's the devil's music. Whatever happened to Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra eh?

- "Hot funk, cool punk, even if it’s old junk It’s still rock and roll to me" - Billy Joel

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
hugh said:
"Hot funk, cool punk, even if it’s old junk It’s still rock and roll to me" - Billy Joel
Turned on the radio
Sounded like a disco
Musta turned the dial for a couple of miles
But I couldn't find no rock 'n roll
This computerized crap ain't gettin' me off
Everywhere I go the kids wanna rock

- Bryan Adams

:D

·
Banned
844 Posts
You poor soul, you must be from the current 'brain-dead' generation, as I refer to them?! Back when life was more simple, reading a book or listening to music on your record player was considered a treat, now it appears its just a nuisance that takes too much effort thanks to the wonderful world of technology. :rolleyes:

What happens when the power goes out and your batteries die- where will you be then?! Us 'old' folk will still be listening to our music on our record players and reading our books while you folks from the 'i' generation will probably be whimpering in the corner trying to figure out why your gadgets don't work anymore and how to get them going again- ha ha! :D

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
eljay, Do I need to Cee Lo Green you? ;)

What happens when the power goes out and your batteries die- where will you be then?! Us 'old' folk will still be listening to our music on our record players
PlayitSimple, what record player do you have that works when the power goes out?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
For all you other old timers, Cee Lo Green has a very popular, and very catchy, tune these days called F-You.

The best lyric in the song though is "I guess he's an xbox and i'm more atari"

Too many atari's around here! (and yes I had an Atari Computer and an Atari 2600 Video Game console but I'd still prefer an Xbox)

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Thanks Grandpa! Damn that Rock and Roll music with kids gyratin' their pelvis. It's the devil's music. Whatever happened to Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra eh?
Just yesterday, someone on the radio was mentioning how so many kids today are listening to the music of the '70s. I have seen examples of that myself, such as kids working the summer talking about Cat Stevens, girls at an ice cream stand taling about Pink Floyd. While there certainly has been some crap throughout the years, it seems to be far more prevalent now. Take a listen to some of the progressive rock from the late '60s into the '70s or Simon & Garfinkle, Eric Carmen, Cat Stevens and many others for some really excellent music. There's very little of that these days to the point even the kids are complaining. Also, it's not just a case of preference, but lack of talent. For example, I have my favourite styles, yet I can still appreciate the music quality and talent in those I don't care for. On the other hand much of what's "popular" today is totally lacking in quality. A big part of the problem is the way that corporations decide what gets played, be it at the radio stations or record companies. One example of this is Sheryl Crow. She was on TV (60 Minutes IIRC) several years ago and described how the record company told her what she was and wasn't allowed to do. She is actually an excellent musician, capable of far better than we heard on the radio back then. Another example is Liona Boyd. Sony tried telling here she couldn't record anything but classical music but, fortunately, she was able to do what she wanted anyway.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
JamesK..Eric Carmen? Really???:p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts