Registered
4,935 Posts
if it's free it's for me.

other than that apple can stuff it.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
No thread crapping please.

They should also hook into tvfool and add the OTA information.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Also available for android based smartphones as long as it has camera, digital compass and GPS built in.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I have used their web based service for years, very helpful indeed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Majortom, it aint free, i believe about $20 usd. i dont buy apps. if it aint free, i dont use em! But what else would you expect from a redneck?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
redneck, yes I know, and not about to give apple a penny for sumthin they play no roll in developing. i don't buy any apps at all, all i was getting at.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
App’s are sold by Apple through a deal with Apple and the developer. The developers do get paid a percentage of the $20 cost. To me it’s worth $20 as I love playing around with satellite setups all the time and have installed many satellite systems for friends and family.

·
Registered
198 Posts
About a year and a half ago. I found a classified ad. A dish/ DTV installer was retiring, I bought him out for less than $300. Three large multi compartment boxs of connectors, lag bolts, wire clips ( for attaching coax to a wall), splitters etc, a tool for snaking cable through Sheetrock walls, and a birdog USB unit. I was happy to make the find. so far it has been my greatest aid. Note that the birdog does give a false positive on occasions . I think the dishpointer app would be a good tool, however, I just can't bring myself to purchase any app. Maybe I'll change, but not soon. I'm glad the app is helping some of you, I really do think it is neat.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cool FTA App

Am not a fan of cell phones nor apps, but this one is quite interesting.

Over at the dishpointer site, they have an interesting satellite app (Iphone and Android) showing exactly where the satellites are in real time. Using the camera and GPS, it will show you precisely where the satelites are by holding up the phone, red dots represent each satellite, thus easilly determining potention obstructions.

Pretty cool IMO. unfortunately, I have a blackberry (work related) so I can't test, but there is a video on the site and youtube.

Cheers, K

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I have bought the app to help me find the birds that may or may not be hidden from the trees in my yard. It does what it is supposed to do but I don't think it's worth 20$ for the amount of time you actually use it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Confirmed, its a pretty sweet app. I bit the bullet and bought the 9.99$ version and installed in on the GF's Iphone. 2 minutes later I had a good idea what I could receive (30w to 125).

For those who are interested, Apple's App store has several "sat finder" apps ranging from 2.99$ to 19.99$.

Cheers, K

PS- I tried to get a pic of the Iphone screen using the blackberry but got an interference error.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good find! Given more free time and better coding skills, I'd be interesting in attempting an FTA/OTA app. These sort of tools are almost a must have for any hobbist.

Cheers, K

·
Registered
832 Posts
Foks, I've been using the Dishpointer AR for Iphone for the past two years and even though it does a fair job at showing elevation along the arc, there's little accuracy to be had from a device that uses a mixture of Assisted-GPS (not true GPS), gross compass and gyroscopes.

As you get used to the app, you'll, of course, want to stay clear of any metallic structure (like appartment buildings and such. You can use it for instance to evaluate if a bird is clear of tree lines but you'll have to swing the iphone left and right quite a bit before settling on an average result if you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
A-GPS is actually GPS + network or cell positioning. So that is a good thing. So unless you are in a heavily obstructed environment GPS will be sufficient. Also, there are no gyroscopes in these devices. Just a 3-axis accelerometer plus a digital compass.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just discovered Satellite Director independently in the last couple of days. I am right now trying it out on my new Galaxy S4 phone to see if I can use it to find 15W. It seems to be working well so far.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts