Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes - I agree - the CBC is unfair to the Leafs since they show Leafs games. The fair thing to do would be to shield the public from this group of wannabees - so that we can continue to "believe" that Toronto has an NHL team.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone should remind Burke that someone higher than the CBC forces us to watch his hapless Leafs. It pisses me off that I cannot watch the Canucks ( or Sens, Flames or Oilers ) when they on Sportsnet ( like last night against St Louis ) as I get a message about not being available in my region ( Southern Ontario )

·
Registered
560 Posts
There is no greater comedy that the CBC can present on Saturday nights that will draw more viewers and laughs than showing the blue and white. The Leafs aren't going anywhere.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Burke should remember that he is in the entertainment business.

Without television and shows like HNIC, he'd be working in retail store somewhere or be unemployed.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The Leafs are provided a Saturday evening sinecure on a publicly funded network simply because they are The Leafs. There is no incentive for that organization to improve the team's performance given their cozy HNIC money machine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Burke should remember that he is in the entertainment business.
It seems to me that many Maple Leaf fans saw Burke as the second coming of Sammy Pollack. I don't know where they got got this impression from. It certainly wasn't from a critical look at resume.

GM - Hartford Whalers - 92/93 - fired after 1 season

GM - Vancouver Canucks - 98/04 - did some great early signings, but team plateaued after 3 years with no further improvement - fired 04

GM - Mighty Ducks - 05/08 - won Cup in his second year - but he didn't assemble that team

This is a guy who never successfully built a team and won the Cup - so is it any surprise that this is a rerun of the Hartford Whalers experience. He retains his allegiance to his old Providence College teammate - Ron Wilson. Too bad he didn't learn more about being a GM from his old coach there - Lou Lamoriella.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As alluded to by Stampeder, lets stay on Topic

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
And everyone misses the point ... this is classic Burke and the media (and the public) fall for it every time. He's done it in Vancouver, Anaheim, and Toronto when needed.

It's a simple tactic: when the team's performance is attracting negative attention, make the story about Brian Burke and the pressure's off the team. The media leaves the team alone on their performance and gets totally pre-occupied with Burke. That's why players in the NHL love playing on a Burke team ... because he's got their back.

Until the media actually stops being played like rube ... he'll continue to do it because it works (for the most part ... probably won't this time as long as Ron Wilson's behind the bench).

In other words, it doesn't matter whether the CBC's fair, they're convenient.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Since some are intent on taking this off-topic, let's try and put some actual facts into the thread (because I can't resist ...) and try and get back to discussing his CBC rant.

It was Burke who signed the Neidermayers, unloaded Fedorov for Beauchemin, and traded for Chris Pronger and Sean O'Donnell. Pretty significant moves and he deserves credit where credit is due. Anaheim doesn't win that Cup without the moves he made as GM.

As for the Hartford situation, Burke wasn't fired over performance. The owner was a born-again evangelist who tired to insert his religious beliefs into team management. Burke gave him an ultimatum and then they parted ways. However, in a little over a year in Hartford: acquired Sean Burke and Eric Weinrich, did the draft day deal that got the second pick (Chris Pronger) and also drafted Marek Malikk (691 NHL games), Nolan Pratt (592 NHL games), and Manny Legace (365 NHL games played). I think that stand up pretty well 17 years later.

The facts are that Brian Burke has been a good to very good GM everywhere he's been except Toronto so far. He may fail, he may turn the ship around, but all the bashing of his previous accomplishments doesn't stand up. Bashing his CBC rant?? Go ahead!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Someone should remind Burke that someone higher than the CBC forces us to watch his hapless Leafs. It pisses me off that I cannot watch the Canucks ( or Sens, Flames or Oilers ) when they on Sportsnet ( like last night against St Louis ) as I get a message about not being available in my region ( Southern Ontario )
are you being serious? thats not because of the leafs but because of NHL rules. I live in the maritimes and I can't get leafs, oilers, canucks or flames games. Sportsnet only has REGIONAL broadcast rights.

If the regional blackouts were lifted I doubt the leafs or habs would complain, but I'm sure the other 4 teams wouldn't like it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts