Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of missed the boat on Boxing DAY sales for TVs. I have been looking at Boxing WEEK sales and conidering I know what prices were just days earlier, I'm not AS excited about what I see.

Am I better off buying a TV now, or waiting for January hoping that retailers will have excess stock to unload that was not purchased during Boxing week?

If the type of TV matters, I'm looking at either 32-37" LCDs or 42" Plasmas. Casual gaming, mostly TV viewing, basement (extra TV not main so don't want to spend as much).

I've seen, for instance, the Panny TCP42C2 for $499, but prior to this I was set on buying a 32" TV for $299. At current 32" prices, I'd rather get a lower grade 42" which I think is a better deal IMO.

Your thoughts?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I don't believe you should buy a tv because its on sale. Find the TV that meets your needs then wait for it to go on sale.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Agreed. I've seen a lot of terrible TV sets, and other items, that were purchased solely because of a sale price. Instead, do some rational evaluation of quality and value for the price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what you are both saying.

The 'right sale time' was a factor because, as mentioned, this is not my primary TV, will be in the basement (should mention will not often use this TV set), viewed during working out/riding a bike, when kids come over (casual gaming), etc...

I'd like to purchase a reasonably good quality TV, and I understand many crap sets go on sale around this time, but so too good quality sets.

If this was my primary TV, I wouldn't operate this way.

I like the Panny sets, but since there are so many 'levels' (C, U, S, G, etc), I thought I'd mention the set in question to give you an idea that although I'd like to get the best set, considering my usage, my budget or what I am willing to pay is lower.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, one more question.

Which 'level' of Panny sets out today match the specs of my current model (50PZ800U), G?

I saw a GT model which has the THX and glass panel, is that the equivalent? I'm not interested in purchasing the SAME quality (price tag and needs assessment prohibits me), just curious.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Honestly, if your really just looking for the cheapest thing out there, buy this week or wait until March or April. Early January to Mid-February is not a good time because sales are strong due to SuperBowl.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My TV buying patterns

2003 - 46" Panny RPTV - spent weeks researching it, reading about burn in, calibration, child protection for the screen etc. Spent $2300cdn, sold in 2008 for $300

2005 - 26" Toshiba CRT - 30 minutes research, my gaming TV was a 27" Panny 4:3 CRT that blew up during boxing week. Decent deal. My BIL bought same TV 6 months prior for 40% more. Bedroom TV now, because of below purchase

Boxing Day 2006 - 37" LG LCD TV. ?$900-1000; spent 2 days looking at flyers on RFD, didn't think I would get it, as it looked to be about 30-40% off street pre-Xmas prices, was in the sweet spot of TV pricing in my opinion. Lucked out see: http://blog.pjbj.ca/2006/12/boxing-day-victory.html

March 2008 - Epson 720p projector. To use in HT room finished in Dec 2008. Great deal by mail order including spare bulb.... researched about 4 weeks before ordering.

Dec 2010 - Panny 32" LCD for kitchen. Finished a kitchen reno that needs a TV. Researched for 1 hr on Fshop and Bbuy sites. Paid about $400, was in some Friends and Family email. Picked it over a $300 set because it is energy star rated and uses 50W vs 100W. Figured it was a good enough price, that it wasn't worth Boxing day hassles to save a bit more... I need to save $300 and at least 30% more to make it worth me getting up at 3am.

Sorry for the ramble. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about a sub $500 TV, other than buy what u can afford.

P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts