Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking out some boxing day flyers for A/V Receivers and noticed what appears to be a couple good deals on receiver models I am not familiar with.

I had been eyeing up the Pioneer VSX-1020-K but thought I would wait and see what kind of deals were out there around the holidays.

One store has the Pioneer VSX-9040TXH on for $599 ($300 off)

Another has the Pioneer VSX-1019AG-K on for $399 ($250 off)

Neither store has either of these receivers usually and I am worried that they bring in lesser quality receivers for these big sales and I don't want to spend money on one if I am not getting a decent recevier.

Can anyone offer any advice or opinions on these receivers?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Have you checked the U.S. and CDN Pioneer websites? They should have all the specs for the respective models.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Where have you seen Boxing Day flyers already...?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hugh: They don't show up on the US or Canada website, but if you google the model number it takes you to another Pioneer site that has them. It leads me to beleive they aren't a regular model. I am not good with comparing specs as dumb as that might sound. I know certain models have better technology for upscaling etc..

cooper: not sure if I am allowed to post links to the flyers or not (hugh can answer that), but if you just google the store name and boxing day flyer you can find them. RedFlagDeals is a good source.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Big chains like FS and BB often have rebranded products with different model numbers than the maker's original retail products. That obviously works to their advantage since it prevents price matching and product comparisons. My experience is that these products often look similar to the original product line but may have missing features. They may also be discontinued product lines that are being dumped in Canada. I often see products "on sale" at FS and BB that can be picked up cheaper elsewhere because they are being liquidated or have a manufacturer's price drop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found an identical thread on another forum with a few pages of responses. I will read through it and pass on the info.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the flyers I was looking at were last years.. I saw 2010 but realized it was from January last year. My bad..

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yeah! Right now you have to travel to the US and line up at Best Buy or some other retailer at 3 or 4 AM for Black Friday and maybe get one of the "minimum 5 per store" receivers!:rolleyes: :) or..as I am already here you could pay me to line up for you! ;) (Joke)

·
Registered
815 Posts
This is almost exactly the same as the Pioneer Elite VSX-21, which is a very nice receiver and a step up from all of the "mainline" Pioneer receiver models from last year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been checking out some boxing day flyers for A/V Receivers and noticed what appears to be a couple good deals on receiver models I am not familiar with.

I had been eyeing up the Pioneer VSX-1020-K but thought I would wait and see what kind of deals were out there around the holidays.

Another has the Pioneer VSX-1019AG-K on for $399 ($250 off)

Neither store has either of these receivers usually and I am worried that they bring in lesser quality receivers for these big sales and I don't want to spend money on one if I am not getting a decent recevier.

Can anyone offer any advice or opinions on these receivers?
All good recievers from Pioneer,but I would wait until Soundsaround put's out there boxing day flyer.
You might get a reall deal on a Pioneer Elite Reciever.
A Cople of months ago they had the Pioneer Elite SC 25 for $999 which is half the regular price.
I stopped by there yeasterday to see what they had for black Friday and not to many deal's on Pioneer Recievers,but the guy did say they might have them on there Boxing Day Sale.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even though that would be a great deal it's a bit out of my price range.. I am thinking int he $600 range. I am starting to like the 9040txh at $599 but I am not sure anyone still carrys it..

Ah well I am not in any huge hurry so I will keep my eyes open for boxing day deals. There wasn't anything to spectacular for black friday, even down in the US that I could find.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a vsx 1019 bought in January was the same price 399 from FS
it still works fine, paired it with Klipsh speakers, sounds good to me never had any issues with it, ok its not the top of the line, but its good and loud enough for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in Belleville and don't have much choice but I got Red ball Radio to price match a VSX-32 for 899$. Is it a bit early to buy with per Boxing day sales coming up or not.
Any insight is appreciated

S

·
Banned
181 Posts
Buy online in the US and ship to the border and pick up. Receivers are one of those itmes that are so much less in the US in the range of at least a savings of $200.00 or more. Speakers are another item.

So I will take flack for the comment but I am in the process of doing this and my savings are $300.00 in the reciever I bought @ amazon dot com......but also look at J and R, B and H Photo all have free shipping in the US>>>> Just a suggestion.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buy online in the US and ship to the border and pick up. Receivers are one of those itmes that are so much less in the US in the range of at least a savings of $200.00 or more. Speakers are another item.

So I will take flack for the comment but I am in the process of doing this and my savings are $300.00 in the reciever I bought @ amazon dot com......but also look at J and R, B and H Photo all have free shipping in the US>>>> Just a suggestion.....
With the Loony at almost Par were still paying almost 30% more for the same item here in Canada.Might be worth as road trip down south;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts