Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I am thinking of getting one of these two devices! For those of you who have experience with these, which one do you think is the best device for someone in Canada.

Jason

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What do you want it for and why have you narrowed your search down to these two devices?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Way too open of a question. What types of media do you want to stream? Are you only going to rent or buy tv and movies? Do you want to hack? These 2 types of devices are fairly far apart in capabilities.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Do you currently use iTunes for your media library?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, you're right I should have been more specific. Currently I stream media to my PS3. I do have itunes for my Ipod Touch but usually just use itunes for updating my ipod. I guess I mostly want to be able to stream media from the internet. I have netflix on my PS3.

Jason

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm also interested in a Boxee Box, I found this review on The Globe and Mail's site.

My only problem is, I need something with wireless otherwise the whole exercise is wasted (It's for my parents, they already have the original WDTV, and are tired of moved media around manually.) The internet video stuff is a bonus. not a necessity. I'm tempted to just get them a WDTV live with a wireless adapter, but it's not as elegant as a single box solution. They have their own media so I think an AppleTV is a non starter...

I'm looking for simplicity here. Any suggestions? Or have I finally lost it?

er. massive miss on my part, it actually does have wireless. D'oh!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The Boxee Box is brand new so it still has a few quirks and bugs. The initial firmware update changed the UI which many people feel is ugly and more cumbersome to navigate than the original UI. But they have announced they are changing all that and going more towards what the user community wants, which I like.

A new firmware release is set to come out later this week and promises to fix many smaller issues people were having. I like they way they are listening to their customers and making changes and fixes based on all the feedback they're getting. The BB has potential to be a great device but will take a few more upgrades to achieve that...provided they don't mess anything else up.

Personally, I chose the BB because it has a nice looking video wall with cover art and a synopsis of all your media categorized automatically into "Movies" and "TV Shows" based on scraping IMDB. This still needs some tweeking but works pretty good overall.

I don't know much about the other two devices mentioned but I don't think WDTV has a video wall or can scrape the internet for movie and TV show information. But that stuff is what I wanted in a media streamer.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Right now I have both an AppleTV and Boxee running side-by-side. Unless you can't wait for netflix to be added and/or you have all your media already converted to Apple compatible format, your best bet is likely the Boxee Box. Although it has some growing pains currently, the primary features are fully useable including nearly flawless playback of various media codecs. The metadata scraping is really nice and has a great WAF. My WDTV live doesn't have any kind of scraping functionality, although the newest incarnations may.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I guess I mostly want to be able to stream media from the internet.
I'd go Roku or an internet radio then, maybe Sonos. I recommend you decide what you want to do first, then look for the solution.

If you must have more and you can't decide, then buy a Acer Revo or E-machine nettop computer for $299 and then install the free Boxee software and iTunes. Best of both worlds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts