Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I thought about this as a HTPC device but if it can't do VPN and Boxee blocks Hulu for PR purposes its not that useful in Canada.

If it lets you connect to other app indexers then there is at least a CBC and CTV add on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Boxee Box to be released soon

The Boxee box should be coming out soon. Just wondering what people's opinions on it are. Cost should be around $200.

They are targeting release for US and Canada, however I am unsure if Canadians will be able to access all the Boxee content. Right now the only way you can see all the content is by using a US proxy.

Here is my personal pro/con list...

PROS
Open source
Will run XMBC, great time to replace my old xbox
Will support many codecs for both SD/HD material
Tons of content
Tagra 2 processor by Nvidia

CONS
No IR - need to buy a USB receiver for universal remotes to work
Unpractical design
No torrent support

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wondering why you have concerns with D-Link producing this box. I use their DIR-655 and it seems good to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
-- BOXEE -- Media Device

Boxee comes in a couple of different packages...

1) there is a hardware Box which has a Atom Processor...
You can get one at future shop for $199 and has a wireless remote..

its a Media device not a BlueRay Player... and you can use it to view photos, videos, music and what ever else...

It has a lot of additional applications that run in it, and is kinda similar in many ways to the additional features of the BlueRay Players that have additional online content options...

2) there is a software option... Windows, Mac and Linux... and also APPLE TV boxes (any version)

If you have a laptop, its fairly simple... install the app... and connect it to your television set... Get a Wireless Mouse... and your good to go with out wires...

its a nice media center application and also has much of the functions of XBMC.

the cheapest way to run it, is either a existing laptop... or if you wana go with a TV box.. just pickup the Apple TV box for around $119 and install Boxee as a application..

its not a Blue Ray Player... its a very nice Media Center...

some blueray units have nice media centers... sony 370 and samsung 5500 are examples

Give Boxee a try before you plank out cash for a media center... it may be just what your looking for.

www.boxee.tv

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Isn't Netflix the "killer app" for all of these media-to-TV boxes and Boxee doesn't have it? I can't see many of these devices really being successful or in the mainstream without it.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
was just lookin at boxee s/w application for windows.
linux version wouldn't install for me in linux.
looks to me like it has a Netflix app in it though.

What it seems to be missing is it doesn't recognize any of your existing
PC Tuners as a "media source" .

·
Registered
38 Posts
-- Netflix Boxee

Netflix works in Boxee with no problems. ( Yes in canada.. )

Atleast with what I tried it with, which is the latest version of Boxee for windows
( on top of windows 7 )

there is a weblink that you must use that will intergrate the netflix into the boxee, so that you do not have to do multiple logins ect.. its a one time setup.
( I assume you have already created a boxee login )

www.boxee.tv/netflix

everyone it seems is on the netflix band wagon... I have been using the service since it has rolled out in canada.

I have also looked at boxee several times over the last couple of years as typical media software.

The boxee does offer a effective media center solution.

its fairly simple to install the application on a typical laptop. example typical Dell 1525's have a HDMI Port... just plug it into your TV and its all good to go.

A small Logitech Wireless mouse is a nice option... works from the other side of the room..

( My initial posts related to this topic were more to compare use of Blueray Devices as media centers as well.. )

·
Registered
38 Posts
Boxee Additions

Im working on a couple of things at the moment, and also trying out another service called 'DropBox'

Whats interesting with this one is, I just started to expierment with using DropBox to sync media between devices.

Im going to drop in a referal Link to get you folks up and going..

http://www.dropbox.com/

If all works as I hope it will.. it should be interesting.. obviously combining both applications is somewhat expiermental. However does create a unique platform for delievery.

I will put a copy of Boxee in the folder for users to Download and install..

as well as a couple of media clips.

what should happen is that the users that install the DropBox will have a addional folder... that folder can then be added to the media library of Boxee.

all the users will automatic Sync, and you should all be able to access the video clip.

I do not believe that anything like this before has been attempted.

However I just Tested this tonight from across the city.

It does work... and its also Very fast as well..

im getting speeds of about 700k /sec to sync on typical DSL

To add the DropBox Share to Boxee:

Simply use the files menu under boxee to browse to the location where boxee stores the files...

its like C: / users / (UserName) / My Documents / My Dropbox

and create a shortcut...

exit out and go back to the main menu...

you will then see a folder there next to the other applications for Boxee..

Now what ever goes into your DropBox can be Viewed on Boxee.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
D-Link has announced it will be in Canada by November 17th at your favourite Big Box retailer

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Would love to hear a review when you get it up and running. I have it on the Apple tv but not sure when they will or if they will update it through the hack community for 1.0 on it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts