Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Motorola 3400 is an hour behind, DST came into effect last nigth, but not in Shaw land... Or at least, not on my box here in Calgary! :rolleyes:

I rebooted and while that screwed up the guide (great!) it hasn't picked the time change up yet.

There doesn't seem to be an option anywhere in the setup menus to force it...

Anyone else having this problem? Is this something they haven't done right on the Shaw end?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like it might just be my box (good job it's a rental) - the basic DCT I have in the basement got the update OK.

I just did an online chat w/Shaw support and they couldn't connect to the HDPVR - at either the original location or down in the basement. It didn't update the time in eother location either, with multiple reboots.

I ended up booking a service appointment for next weekend. It might be the box or a signal problem. *sigh*

Once the guide reloads my series recordings should still work in the interim, though... I hope!

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
It's probably a splitter or something similar blocking the return signal from the unit. Temporarily remove any splitters or other devices from upstream of the unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a couple of 1-2 splitters in the mix: a 1-2 feeding the Home Phone modem and a second 1-2 which I assume is feeding the basement outlet (which has a 1-2 splitter feeding the TV and cable modem) and the living room outlet.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to risk messing anything up, so I'm going to let the Shaw tech deal with it next weekend. The guide still hasn't reloaded since the last reboot either (so s-l-o-w!), so I'm going to keep my hands off it for now.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This happens every time there is a time change when digital terminals are not able to communicate back to the office. Often there is a signal issue or a connection issue preventing the comminucation and once corrected the time updates properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The root cause was that the box had somehow flipped itself into a status that meant it couldn't communicate back to home base.

It only took someone who knew the specifics of the issue 5 minutes to resolve - and apparently didn't really need the dude to show up in person at all, it could've been done remotely last week if they had realised what was wrong. However, he was kind enough to check out the signal (strong) and check out the cables at the pole outside while he was here.

Anyway, I got the box updated, now it has the correct time, and it also doesn't have the little "communication" light flashing all the time, either.

Issue resolved! :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I had the same problem with my DCT3080 last week. I disconnected it last September (before DST ended) due to a free DCX3400 rental, and connected it last Monday (day after DST began).

When I first connected it, it had the correct time. However, the next day when I checked the time on the box it was an hour off. There was no reason for it to be on standard time since it had not been connected at all during standard time. I called up Shaw, they hit the box, and it updated correctly. Go figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts