Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I ran a coax line out to my garage, but I can hardly see the signal at all.

What is the best booster to buy for this. I am running SHAW by the way.

Thanks for any help inadvacne.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I know you can buy them at The Source and places like that but I'm not sure they'd work with digital boxes etc...probably okay if you are just looking to add an analog set in the garage.

Another option is to call Shaw to do it. They'll put one in for free if it needs it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but that's all it is. Just the cable. I used one of the existing splitters on my electrical panel i my house, and ran it to the garage. No DCT box. I just wanted my basic cable...

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
57 is right, call Shaw to get them to check the connections and line for you.

It sounds like you have a bad termination. That or you are running an excessive amount of cable, but really, how far could it be to your garage?

I would check your connectors and if they are ok (no stray shield strands shorting out the center conductor and the center conductor is not too long or too short) then go over the entire length of the line and look for any damage that may have happened(cuts, nicks, twists or kinks or maybe even staples?). I found a line that was almost cut right through one time but for some reason I had no noticeable loss of signal. I cut out the damage and had the next Shaw Tech that came to my house put new terminals on it. He was happy to do it as that way they know it is done right. If they find everything checks out and you do need an amplifier, they will install the proper one for you, for free, as spitoon said.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Also try looking for a CATV button on the remote or in the menu. Failing that check to make sure the coax is connected to cable on the TV and not ANT. Your TV thinks its an old rotary dial TV from the 70s and only gets 13 channels.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
'Old' boosters are likely not compatible with today's channel line-up so just give Shaw a call and be sure to let us know how you make out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
first off. you do not need a two way amp for cable services. especially if there is not a digital box involved.

it sounds like you need to set your tv to 'catv' mode and run an 'autoprogram' on the tv.

if that fails. get shaw to come out.

chances are, you didnt make your connections properly/good enough

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
ralphthedog;
Thanks for following up and letting us know. I had forgotten about the CATV or CABLE setting to check as I do it so automatically whenever I am helping people with setting up their equipment. I guess that is why it is so good to have forums like this so that we can all have each others backs.

Thanks again for the follow up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts