Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In-house, the channel has moved to HD capabilities throughout its production chain, although at present carriage is in SD. Signals are downconverted from HD to SD at BNN, and then delivered to the distributors. "But we're ready to go (HD) when they are," Omelus described. "Cameras (now totalling nine, with six in the field), switchers, servers - it's all HD. CTV made a huge investment in a state-of-the-art facility; it's almost all new gear."

And there's a lot of new visuals, including new business charts and on-air graphics that help illustrate a particular story or particular stock history. Two staffers are currently dedicated to building up the new HD graphic library, with stock images and other materials.

The new look reflects both the channel's new HD capability, as well as its desire to provide a unique angle on the stories it covers.
Source: Mediacaster

So that means BNN now has HD equipment and graphics, but it's still distributes its SD signal to cable, satellite and IPTV providers, which is a sign that BNN is not launching its HD version. In my opinion, BNN should have apply to the CRTC about its HD version, and once the Commission approves it, it would launch BNN HD.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
They are able to use their HD facilities to full effect from time to time: I noticed a BNN segment on Canada AM this week that was shown in high definition.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Why should they have to apply to the CRTC to use HD? They are purely a cable/satellite channel. If a given BDU can use SDV for BNN's HD they would not even take up bandwidth most of the time for most of the people.

I watch BNN daily and I'd rather see the extra screen real estate used for more info rather than a better view of the presenters faces.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I find it interesting that CTV spends tons of dough on upgrading BNN but they cry poor when it comes to providing SPACE in HD.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
I find it interesting that CTV spends tons of dough on upgrading BNN but they cry poor when it comes to providing SPACE in HD.
The same is true of the /A\ channels, which are owned by CTV.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BNN received CRTC approval to distribute a high-definition version of its channel way back in 2008:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-200.htm
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that.

Anyway, from what I saw on the BNN website, the videos are in 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll contact BNN about when will its HD version launch to BDUs, especially Bell TV.

EDIT: I just send an email to the General Manger and Executive Producer of BNN about BNN HD. I also send an email to the viewers response line. Go to BNN's Contact Us website if you have any concerns about BNN HD.

·
Banned
49 Posts
cant read the new graphics

New ticker is small. Hard to read it. The colour seems to be granulated. Bring back the old format. Have seen CNBC on HD and the extra info there is worth it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
BNN moved into the CTV building on Queen street, just a few blocks from the financial district in Toronto. The location makes a lot of sense for financial reporters and for business personalities coming for an interview. The facility is completely new so all HD is a given. I watch BNN so I will be happy to see it in HD. I noticed that the SD picture had improved substantially and speculated they were orginating in HD before they announced it last week on-air.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BNN sent a reply to me. Firstly, here's what I wrote an email about BNN HD:

Since BNN now has HD equipment and graphics, when will BNN launch its HD version to cable, satellite and IPTV providers? Give me an exact date. Will Bell Satellite TV and Bell Fibe TV be the first to offer BNN HD? I know that BNN HD was approved by the CRTC (read: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-200.htm), so tell me when.

Thanks!
Jack Fleischmann, the General Manager for BNN, replied to my email:
Thank you for your e mail. We have not yet set a date to transition BNN to an HD format. Again, thanks for your interest in our programming.

For more information on BNN and its programs, please visit our website: www.bnn.ca.

Sincerely,

Jack Fleischmann

General Manager

BNN - Business News Network
So only time will tell when BNN HD is going to launch.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Most of the new HD equipment was purchased by CTV for the Olympics and has been disbursed across the country with priority given to "live" production studios. It appears that nothing was left over for the Achannels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts