Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Excellent! Yes, with an HDMI (or however you connect to your audio-video receiver) and a laptop, one can watch on a regular TV.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Shaw Direct FreeRange TV on laptop

When I use my laptop (HP with Windows 10) to watch live TV on CBC, CTV, Global, or Sportsnet from their websites, I have no problems; however when I log into FreeRange TV using my Shaw Direct ID information, the live TV feed only last for about 10 minutes, and then it either freezes up or my laptop shuts down and then restarts.

Are any other Shaw Direct folks experiencing this phenomena? Is there a way to solve it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have not experienced it, and I use FreeRange off and on for extended periods. I'm guessing it has more to do with your WiFi speed, or the modem getting plugged up (a factory reboot can clear that out), memory being used by other apps on your device perhaps, but I don't think it's a general problem with the service. And I'm in Mexico.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks Mike for the quick reply. Problem seems to be solved. I have been using Firefox, and that seems to be the problem. I switched my Shaw Direct FreeRange to Edge and it is working properly. It might be a compatibility problem between FreeRange and Firefox?? Has anyone else experienced this? Like I said in a previous post I have little to no problems with the network sites. I use FreeRange in our motorhome while traveling, so WIFI speed is also a problem at times, but not in this case. Thanks again for letting me know the problem was on my end.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's quite possible, considering what you're experiencing, NovaMan. I see many instances wherein FireFox just stutters, even when it's not downloading anything other than web page elements. Almost like it freezes. I would turn off plugins, as LONSat suggests. Another thing to try is uninstalling FFox, deleting it's folder from C://Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox, too. Because just uninstalling leaves all your settings. To SAVE your settings first, to for example keep just your Bookmarks, use MozBackup (MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird), a free tool, that also backs up and restores Thunderbird files.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

This from Shaw help:

"We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved! The FreeRange application does have some compatibility issues with certain programs. For example, it is only compatible with Android software that is 4.1 and higher and iPad with iOS 8.0 or higher and it does not work on Blackberry at all."

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have not experienced it, and I use FreeRange off and on for extended periods. I'm guessing it has more to do with your WiFi speed, or the modem getting plugged up (a factory reboot can clear that out), memory being used by other apps on your device perhaps, but I don't think it's a general problem with the service. And I'm in Mexico.
Have you ever tried to link a mobile device running Free Range while out of Canada to either an Apple Airplay device or a Chromcast unit, i.e. is there a way to have Free Range appear on a big screen TV?

·
Registered
459 Posts
No, I haven't, unfortunately. I am not fond of all these little Android-type devices. However, I know that programs like PLEX offer the kind of thing you are looking for, along with PLAYON software. I can "stream" from my PC to my TV in 1080p from anything on my hard drive. The difficulty is the menu and interface, which is super-clunky for all these special tools. And it also works with Android and Apple TV and so on.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No, I haven't, unfortunately. I am not fond of all these little Android-type devices. However, I know that programs like PLEX offer the kind of thing you are looking for, along with PLAYON software. I can "stream" from my PC to my TV in 1080p from anything on my hard drive. The difficulty is the menu and interface, which is super-clunky for all these special tools. And it also works with Android and Apple TV and so on.
It works via a VPN on an iPad or Android device, but is denied when trying to then transmit wirelessly from those devices to a big screen. Not sure if the same happens when in Canada, aka is that functionality just impossible outright...

·
Super Moderator
16,401 Posts
@LONSat The iPad dongle won't work with FreeRange TV:
Can I stream Video On Demand or live TV on another monitor from the Shaw FreeRange TV?
All video output (HDMI, airplay, Chromecast, DLNA etc.) is blocked for iOS and Android.
Source: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6216

This is because the content in FrreRange TV is licensed using Mobile Rights which Shaw negotiates in addition to Cable/Satellite broadcast rights (also explained in the FAQ.)

An HDMI connection from a laptop or PC to a TV will work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you ever tried to link a mobile device running Free Range...... a Chromecast unit, i.e. is there a way to have Free Range appear on a big screen TV?
I have tried ( a few months ago) domestically, to project from my Android phone to my Chrome Cast and it was blocked from within the FreeRange App. A message popped up indicating this was not permitted under terms of an agreement as noted above by Dr. Dave.

I was however, at the time, able to screen cast directly from the phone and then run the FreeRange app on top. Subsequently the app appears to have been updated to also block this function.

As I don't have an HDMI adapter for my phone, I can't comment on that option.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts