Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowledge is limited in this but thinking of buying one for my daughter
1. Does a TV need to be 1080p to play blue ray i.e. 1080i not enough
2. Does connection to a surround system need to be optical or do standard audio cables do just fine.
3. Do modern DVD players 'reject' a home copied movie
Thanks,
Robin

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
1. Does a TV need to be 1080p to play blue ray i.e. 1080i not enough
As long as the TV can accept a 1080p signal and/or the Blu-ray (not "blue ray") player can down-convert the signal (which most can do), there's no issue.

2. Does connection to a surround system need to be optical or do standard audio cables do just fine.
Standard (analogue - that is, red+white) cables will work fine. You should be able to set the player to output stereo analogue audio. If you have a receiver that will process them:
- an optical/coaxial digital connection will give you access to the Dolby Digital and DTS surround audio tracks; and
- an HDMI connection will give you access to the lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) tracks.

3. Do modern DVD players 'reject' a home copied movie
It depends on how the movie has been copied and onto what medium it has been copied. Check the owner's manual for the player (DVD or Blu-ray) in question.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
First, its Blu-ray not Blue Ray.

Basic answers to your questions (the answers always have some grey areas but I sense that is not what you are looking for) are:

1. No. It will work with any television though an HDTV set is required for an HD picture.
2. Standard Red/White audio cables will work for stereo sound but you will need an optical or HDMI connection for more advanced audio options.
3. Home movies burned to a DVD, or any commercial DVD, will play on a BLu-ray Player. There are some video formats, such as those used in files downloaded off the internet, which may or may not work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Hugh,
Thanks for this and you are correct I need only a simple answer. So just to confirm my understanding
1 Blue-ray will play equally well on a large screen 1080i as a 1080p.
2 Std audio cables will provide sterio but for 5.1 optical is needed, or HDMI to both tv and audio receiver
3 Burned movies may or may not work depending on source.
Thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
1. Yes. You may need to make adjustments in your television menu and your blu-ray player menu to get it all working to best advantage. The key here is to review the manuals for both your television and blu-ray player. Generally speaking its not rocket science but folks should spend 30 minutes to an hour reviewing their manuals in order to get everything set up properly.

2. Yes

3. Correct. Most new Blu-ray players can play pretty much anything you throw at it but it never hurts to check the manufacturers website to review what the player is capable. Nowadays a player capable of playing Divx or xvid files or avi files is nice feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts