Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many are watching this show, but the first season is wrapping up soon. I think it is one of my favourites along with Justified (I was also a Deadwood fan).

My wife likes Tom Selleck of course. I think the writing and acting is terrific. A bit of recasting during the first few episodes (Danny's partner changes a few times) but a solid group now.

Strange that some of the regular (Amy Carlson, Nick Turturo, etc) are slated as Guest Stars. They've been around all season and I hope continue.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i also like it, i was a huge nypd blue fan and this is nothing like that at all.. lol but i feel all nostalgic seeing Martineze on this show :)

Tom's black hair is amazing... and the stash you just can't beat his stash.. I wish the stories would stretch across more then one episode, it seems rushed that they can recover a wife as a hostage within one episode but other then that i do enjoy the show.

Oh one thing, i do hate is the Intro Theme music.. I'd like something a bit grittier or with more funk :)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I really like the intro theme and think it suits the show :)

As for stretching across more than one episode, I agree, but that is typically of hour dramas. Other than the "Blue Templar" of course, which I kind of hope they wrap up soon.

I hope this one doesn't get the axe.

Lots of "cop" shows out there, but this one and The Chicago Code I find are both good.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It is one of my favourite shows. The plot lines are generally good and the family cast is terrific.

The Sunday(?) family meal is entertaining but is likely not typical of most families, e.g., minimum friction and everyone living in the same city.

I have always found it interesting that there are so many cop, medical, and legal shows. Seems the human race is focused on going bad things, getting ill, or trying to get the advantage over the other guy. Doing good just does not sell newspapers or make for good shows.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Cop shows are a good way to mix action and drama. That's why I like them. That they are based in a large foreign city makes for good escapism as well. I generally don't like cop shows that are too close to home.

I was leery of Blue Bloods at first and thought it was overproduced and top heavy with stars. The family aspect, particularly the family meals, is one thing I don't like about the show. I seems contrived and some of the minor characters are not that likeable. The "Blue Templar" subplot seems a bit contrived as well. The show appears to have downplayed the minor characters and focused on the major characters (the cops and lawyers) of late so it has become one of my favourite shows as well. I watch a lot of crime dramas so that's no minor feat.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have been enjoying this one too. Unfortunately, even if it gets renewed for next year, it will probably be changing for the worse. The showrunner has been fired and tentatively replaced pending renewal. Apparently the network execs want the show to be "less character driven, and more procedural in nature". I guess the CBS execs don't think they have enough CSI's, Criminal Minds', NCIS's, Mentalists, Five-O's, fill-in-the-blank cop procedurals.

This is kinda strange, since Selleck and the writers have been butting heads all year as Selleck wanted more character driven stories, and less standardized procedural fare. Maybe he will just walk and save us from more shlock.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The procedural market must surely be saturated at this point. That is why I liked this one, it was about the characters, the family, etc. If they are going to change it drastically, I agree, just can it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts