Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
My OPPO BDP-83 has several zoom modes for the HDMI output. From the operating manual:

1:1 (No zooming), Stretch/Letterbox/Pillar Box, Full Screen, Under Scan, 1.2X, 1.3X, 1.5X, 2.0X, ½X, Back to 1:1 again

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever zoomed a movie to remove the bars on the top and bottom ? And if you have, how much does this effect the quality of the picture ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Have you ever zoomed a movie to remove the bars on the top and bottom ?
And in the process, remove a huge chunk of the picture on screen?

FAQ on black bars & aspect ratios: http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089

Zooming degrades the picture quality. Depending on the source, however, it may be tolerable.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Have you ever zoomed a movie to remove the bars on the top and bottom ?
I would never do that since I would then lose roughly 33% of the movie in addition to having poorer PQ. This has been discussed in the FAQ above and in the following extensive thread. If you wish to discuss black bars, please read the following thread first and post there if you have anything to add/question. If you wish to discuss zoom in DVD players, please use this thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=92477

The only time I've used a zoom is if a DVD is not anamorphic and the aspect of the programme is about 16:9. The image would then fill the screen without losing any of the original programme. Of course since this results in an image that's about twice the size of the original, the PQ will drop, but the OPPO's upconversion provides an acceptable image quality - pretty rare scenario though and certainly not applicable to BDs.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Zooming degrades the picture quality.
The only time I use zoom is when it's a 16:9 image letterboxed in a 4:3 frame. Given that all you're doing is enlarging the already poor quality, what's left to degrade? Zooming will only make the loss of detail more apparent, just as though you moved closer to the screen. It will not degrade it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The LG BD555C has a variable zoom. Instead of having 2x, 3x, etc., it has + and - buttons. I would assume the other LGs have the same option, but either check the PDF manual or check the buttons on the remote.

The Seiki BD660 has the regular 2x, 3x, etc. The annoying thing is that you have to wait a few seconds before the onscreen display disappears, whereas with the LG, you can press a button to clear it.

The Seiki does let you pan the picture around when in zoom mode (eg. if there's a "ticker tape" at the bottom of the screen, you can shift the picture up so that the top gets cut off, and not the buttom). I can't remember if the LG can do that (I returned it), but a look through the manual should tell you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts