Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I tried searching around for some information on the latest/best Blu Ray players but couldn't find much with respect to Panasonic.

I was looking to purchase a new Blu Ray player. Now, I am partial to Panasonic. I have a Panasonic HDTV, DVD players, etc.

According to their website, they have two current models:

DMP-BD65 and the DMP-BD85

Anyone out there have any of these models?

My priorities are:

A) Image Quality
B) Quick Disc Load Up Time
C) BD-LIVE (a few of my concert DVDs have this feature)

How does this work? How do I power it to the 'net?

I do have an older Panasonic CRT HDTV.

Any comments?

I can be swayed to purchase another brand if the price is right?

Any help is appreciated (or steer me into the right direction)

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 85 model has over the 65:
- wireless networking
- built in Lossless Audio decoding and Multi channel analogue out (if you have an older receiver)
- better video / audio processors
- DivX playback

In my experience the panasonic Blu Ray players tend to be built well, so they are good buys overall.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the DMP-BD65 and I'm happy with it. Only thing that i'm concerned about is the availablity of features such as netflix. Netflix isn't available on the Viera Cast portal yet. Then again; Netflix hasn't expanded toCanada yet, but appparently they are soon.

I didn't know that the 85 had a better audio/video processor, and I don't think its needed anyway. I ran a ethernet cable to it, avoiding the need to by the 85 too.

They were on sale on ebay for 100 bucks, not sure how much they're going for now. I got mine from FS though for 200.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 85 model has over the 65:
- wireless networking
- built in Lossless Audio decoding and Multi channel analogue out (if you have an older receiver)
- better video / audio processors
- DivX playback

In my experience the panasonic Blu Ray players tend to be built well, so they are good buys overall.
How would one be able to access the BD Live [Networking] function without wireless? I suppose plugging in an Ethernet cable into it. What if your computer is far away from that point?

·
Registered
520 Posts
With the latest firmware update, there are new network features available. From Netflix, VUDU, and some other video subscription service. They also added Fox Sport, which gives information on upcoming scheduled games and news feeds.

Unfortunately; Netflix, VUDU, and the other movie service that i forgot the name of...are only available to the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts