Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading some where that blueray players need to be updates with firmwires. my question is why? and how often should this be done? and should you be doing just the lastest firmwire b/c I not done any yet.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Firmware

How often is up for debate, but certain Blu-ray discs will not play in certain players without performing a firmware update. As a general rule - and somebody correct me if I'm wrong - if your device functions fine right now, there's no need to update the firmware.

Depending on the device, it can be done via the internet, burning a disc, or USB thumbdrive.

What make & model is your player?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a panasonic DMP-BP60 if I'm not mistaken. I got it almost a year ago. yes USB is avaliable on my player.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Yep, I leave well-enough alone, however if a BD doesn't play or you have issues, the first thing you should try on your equipment is a firmware update. Firmware that was developed in 2009 for a BD player may not play certain features on 2010 BDs or certain 2010 BDs, for example.

One additional update option is via USB stick, as you noted. Update procedures are usually covered in the operating manual.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If your player has an ethernet port on it, you can just connect it to your modem and let it find it's own upadtes. Works for me, but some people have had problems doing that way and have had to get the update from the player's website and put it on USB stick or a CD and then update the player.

Just depends on the player I guess.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I too have wondered about firmware updates. As I generally have extended warranties - and yes, I have used them on occasion with success - I find that the first question is always "Did you update the firmware?" I feel that if the firmware causes the issue, as has been the case with the Samsung 1600 players - mine went back to the retailer as a result - updating the firmware is an important step to insuring that you have a player that is properly protected and able to be exchanged if necessary. If you do not take the extended warranty and the machine has gone beyond the warranty period, then I suppose that the argument of not "fixing what aint broke" is valid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts