Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press Release:

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the specifications for BDXL™, the new multi-layer recordable Blu-ray Disc™ format with up to 128GB of capacity. With the completion and approval of the specification, manufacturers can now obtain licensing information and license applications needed to begin production of the high capacity write-once and rewritable discs and hardware (http://www.blu-raydisc.info/).

Targeted primarily at commercial segments such as broadcasting, medical and document imaging enterprises with significant archiving needs, BDXL™ provides customers with triple layer 100GB RE (rewritable) and R (write-once) discs and quadruple layer 128GB R discs. Possible consumer applications include capture and playback of HD broadcast and satellite programming in markets where set-top recorders are prevalent.

"The BDA worked diligently to create an extension of the Blu-ray Disc™ format that leverages the physical structure of the design of the disc to create even more storage capacity," said Victor Matsuda, Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee chair. "By using the existing Blu-ray™ technologies, we have created a long-term and stable solution for archiving large amounts of sensitive data, video and graphic images. We expect further growth of the Blu-ray Disc™ market as the introduction of 100GB/128GB discs will expand the application of Blu-ray Disc™ technologies."

The BDXL™ specification was developed with specific market segments in mind, and newly-designed hardware addressing such markets will play back or record BDXL™ media. However, because the new media specifications are extensions of current Blu-ray Disc technologies, future BDXL™ capable recorders can easily be designed to play back existing 25GB and 50GB Blu-ray Disc™ formats.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Would the industry use this to reduce the packaging for full season box-sets? If a full season takes 7-8 discs now, with the new disc capacity that could be dropped to 3.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Makes sense but the value proposition may not be there in consumers eyes. People are so used to boxsets and display them like trophies. Spending $250 on "Seinfield the complete series" and getting 10+discs may make it seem worthwhile but spending that same $250 and getting 1 disc? Yeah it's exactly the same content but what would joe average do?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well, if you had 10+ discs you would still end up with 3, or 5 (depending on whether they had been single or dual layer) of these new high density ones.

Could conventional BD players even be able to read a quadruple layer disc?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
if not, looks like i may need to buy a new blue ray player down the road. which is not bad cus I paid less than $100 for mine last year.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
From what I have heard, current players aren't compatible with the new format. Hopefully this isn't the case, since it would mean yet another upgrade for a lot of people (and rule out current models of the PS3). If it ends up being true, then it would be the fourth time people have needed to upgrade players (original, BD-Live, 3D, and now BDXL). Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

(Yes, I realize some units like the PS3 were upgradeable to BD-Live, but most original standalone players couldn't support it).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts