Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck finding 3D BD for rent? I dropped into Blockbuster yesterday, and they looked at me like I had two heads. I noted that it took them a long time to get into BD, as well. The clerk agreed with me.

Haven't tried Rogers yet.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would imagine it will be sometime before you see them in any rental stores. Considering there are only a handful available and the adoption rate of 3DTVs is so low, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a video rental chain to carry them. I hope you weren't looking to rent Alice in Wonderland or Avatar as they are only available with the purchase of a Sony (Alice) or Panasonic (Avatar) 3DTV.

How many titles are even available right now?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few animated titles, a few Imax. This is excluding the movies that are on exclusive deals. I was hoping to find Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quite a number of Blu-ray 3D titles being released over the next few months.

I was hoping to find Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
Available on the shelves at BB, FS, and online at amazon.ca

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Hmm I could have sworn I saw ads saying it was $1.99 rental.

At the time I said that's a good idea as it would drive more foot traffic to their stores and create impulse business.

But now on further checking I see it's $2.99 and it's not actually them but a movie kiosk using the Best Buy branding:

http://bestbuy.mydvdkiosks.net/member/home

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm still looking for better places to rent Blu-Ray in downtown Toronto. I might have to try zip.ca sometime.

What if I want to rent something that's not a new release? Then it's tough hunting for certain titles I know is already released.

·
Registered
75 Posts
3d rental

I thought I hit gold when I came across site that rents only 3d bluray, and reasonable price as well. Alas, only USA. Site called 3D bluray Rental.
So like many others who invested in Technology, now require content.
I will post if site / location found.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
In Fredericton, the only place I have seen 3D titles for rent is at Jumbo Video. Do you guys have one in your area?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To update my old thread since it was bumped, I had been renting 3D BD from zip.ca, but have switched to dvdlink.ca.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm still looking for better places to rent Blu-Ray in downtown Toronto. I might have to try zip.ca sometime.

What if I want to rent something that's not a new release? Then it's tough hunting for certain titles I know is already released.
Have you tried Queen Video on Queen St near Spadina.

·
Registered
364 Posts
With more Video Rental locations (Rogers) closing non-subscription sources for BD and 3D movies are severly diminishing. In fact I don't think the Rogers Video currently offers 3D movies for rent. Purchasing 3D is expensive so unless you are in the habit of watching movies many times overit is not going to happen.
This trend leads one to the conclusion that although the equipment manufacturers are all moving to 3D without sources for inexpensive content this technology will not become very widespread in homes. IMHO

Does anyone forsee a time in the near future when cable and satellite providers in Canada will have the bandwidth to provide Blu-ray and or 3D quality movies and other programing?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Are you blue

Not for Canada, but there's an American 3D Blu-ray by mail service that allows for expensive rentals with late fees (you can keep the Blu-rays for a week ... the postmark must prove it, or you get charged a late fee).

The Blu-ray rentals (both 2D and 3D) seem to range from $3.99 to $7.99 for a week's rental (ouch). $5.99 seems to be the average rate for the 3D rentals and $3.99 seems to be the average rate for the 2D Blu-ray rentals.

http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/-strse-template/policy/Page.bok

5) Late charges - You must put the rental back in the mail within 7 days (including weekends and holidays) from receiving it. For example, if you receive a movie on Monday 4/2, you will need to put it back in the mail by Monday 4/9. We do not need to receive it by Monday 4/9. It will just need to be postmarked by that date. Starting on the 8th day, a $2 per/day late fee will be charged to your credit card. By the 17th day, if you have not put the movie back in the mail, you will be charged the current manufacturer's suggested retail price or market value, and at this point, you do not need to return the movie.

6) As a renter, you authorize 3D-Blurayrental.com to charge your credit card for late charges (see #5), discs returned in a worse condition (see #4), or unreturned discs.

7) Age - you must be 18 years or older to rent Blu-ray movies from our website.

8) Geography - we only ship to U.S. residences.
-------------

http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/-strse-template/about/Page.bok

About 3D-BlurayRental.com

Since we've opened our web doors in March 2011, we have delighted our customers with the best quality 3D Blu-ray rentals. We have recently added Blu-ray rentals as well. We believe 3D and HD at home is finally at a point where the experience is worth the expense. To experience the best possible 3D movie & HD experience, you will need to get Blu-ray movies displaying a full 1080P picture and audio up to 7.1 HD lossless sound. That is just too much bandwidth for your Cable, Satellite, and other providers. Blu-ray offers, in many instances, more than two times the resolution/pixels and high fidelity not matched by any other format.

We try and stock every current 3D Blu-ray movie and hot Blu-ray title on the day of release. If you do not see something you are interested in, contact us and we will try and add it to our collection.
----------------

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57414788-10391733/where-to-find-3d-movies-to-watch-at-home/
[Where to find 3D movies to watch at home]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts