Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blogger, Google's blogging and online publishing service, announced earlier this week that its blogging platform would go into read-only mode on Wednesday night at 10pm Pacfic Time for some routine maintenance.

Google said the shutdown would last about an hour, however, a day and a half later, bloggers are still unable to post.

Early Friday morning, about 30 hours after maintenance began, Blogger issued a status update saying that in order to get everything back to normal the company will revert back to a stable version of BLogger software.

The company says the rollback to the stable version means that all posts and comments made between 7:37am and 10:00pm Pacific Time on Wednesday will be lost.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
What will all those poor self obsessed people do!?!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the second major muck-up by Google recently. The first being the Gmail mess in February. The Gmail issue was fixed. From the sounds of this, this one won't be completely fixed.

It obviously makes one wonder about Google Documents and should users have concerns that an update could someday lead to data loss.

Can a user back-up their Google Docs to a local drive?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blogger back up. And it looks like lost posts will be restored also.

Downtime 20.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
You can download Google Docs, but I'm not sure if you can batch download or if you'd have to do them individually.

Both downtimes were annoying, but I think this was far less serious than Gmail. I don't think there are too many critical blogs using Blogger, and it looks like everything was restored.

Also, it's hard to complain about a completely free service that works 99.9% of the time. Now if I were a Google Apps user and that service went down, that's a different story.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I don't think there are too many critical blogs using Blogger, and it looks like everything was restored.

Also, it's hard to complain about a completely free service that works 99.9% of the time.
I think the point is the practices, procedures, and infalliability complex that caused this outage and data loss are the same as what they use for other systems. And I wouldn't single out Google for this, there are numerous other examples of technology fumbles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts