Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to block international outgoing calls on a Shaw home phone line? I just had a new roommate move in and I think he is calling family in New Zealand. I told him already not to, but I think he's still calling internationally... I'm worried he is going to rack up my bill. Is there some way to prevent this from happening?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hey there just dial 611 (no hash or any other prefix) from your home phone or call into Shaw from the # on your bill and request a block on International LD only. If you want to continue to call N.American long distance let them know that too. (this could take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or two.)

If you subscribe to the $55/month plan than calls to New Zealand are free.

If you are on any other plan the calls are 4cents/minute just like Canadian LD rate and all those calls are itemized on your bill.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes Jshel should of mentioned that. You get 1000 international minutes on that plan and a bunch of features too.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
2,3 or 4cents per minute are the most common rates to the most commonly dialed international countries. On the Shaw website under Home Phone and then Long Distance you can see all the rates to a landline number and to a cell phone too. There are often differences between the two and sometimes quite a bit.

Shaw has 3 phone packages, Basic, Lite, and regular Home Phone. The last one gives you 1000 free minutes to 50 select countries. The first two offer decent rates to these 50 countries. Any calls placed outside of these 50 countries on any package also incur an international LD charge.

With regards to blocking LD, it is something that can be done domestically or internationally. There is no extra charge to do this, however, it is something that can not be changed back and forth constantly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts