Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Turn it off

Votes: 7 29.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you turn off your Wifi on your Blackberry when you are not using Wifi or do you just leave it on?

The reason I ask is because both times I turned it off, my router loses connections and I had to do a soft reset (Unplug router, count to 10, plug it back in)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I leave my wifi on all the time. Helps keep my download limit in check and its faster then going over the web on my phone.

Any reason you need to turn it off?

·
Registered
327 Posts
For whatever reason, my blackberry will actually lockup my apple extreme router when it moves any significant amount of data over wifi. It's a totally reproducible problem that I originally discovered when trying to download/sync podcasts on my bb. Since then, I've just left my wifi off on the bb as I got tired of power cycling the router. This issue is totally isolated to the blackberry; no similar issues with any of my other wifi devices.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far, my router is having problems when my Wifi is not on.

EDIT: I left my place for my parents and when I came back, I had the same problem.

So, now it will be off unless I need it on and do the reset if needed afterwards.

So far this is a problem along with the Caller ID problem not working unless the number with +1 plus the area code and phone number is listed in the Work2 section.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okmrbh: yep

talljak: To answer your question, at the time, was to save my battery. Now it is so that my router does lose connection and need to be reset. I had the Blackberry for just over a day and I had to reset my router 3 times. Twice when I turned off my Wifi on the Blackberry and once when I left my place.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Odd, my blackberry lasts about 4 days with the wifi turned on at all times. It goes into sleep mode if not in use for 1 minute.
Have you tried a different router? If the problem persists maybe a blackberry reset and software update is in order.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery life is not the issue. I asked if people turned off wifi. Turning it off would save battery life and I want to know if others turned it off. When I said at the time, I meant when I turned it off the first two times before I created this thread.

I do not have a different router but the router that my parents use, I assume there is no problems or else they would have phoned me about it but I will check when I go there tonight.

I did a soft reset on the Blackberry and hopefully that will fix it. If not, I will do a hard reset. All the times that I lost the connections, it was well after I disabled wifi.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: After doing a soft reset of the Blackberry yesterday.

When I came back from my parents, the router was still working normally. Today was the test as I was at work and when I got home, it was still working normally. However, I noticed that Wifi connection was listed as Not connected in the Services Status even though at the top of the screen right beside my Wireless Provider, it as my SSID for my wireless router connection. It is not listed at the connected.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I used to turn it off as the battery seems to drain much quicker but that doesn't seemed to have happened as much recently.

By the way, it might make sense for people to post exactly what Blackberry they have as different models running different OSes could give different results.

I am using a BB Torch 9800 with v6.0.0.246 OS.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: The router lost connectivity again and my wifi was still connected. The SSID was still listed on at the top of the screen after it says TBaytel/Rogers.

I did a hard reset and hopefully that fixes it.

If not, I might need to get a new router.

Also, Wifi diagnostics says that my UMA section that the Phone not allowed on wireless network.

I am going back to the TBaytel store on Wednesday (my next day off) to get them to look at it and to look at the Caller ID issue.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I have a bunch of routers and haven't had problems at all. My router acting as such is an Asus RTN16 running DD-WRT. I also have a Linksys WRT54GL, a Linksys WRT54Gv2, and Netlink router that all act as WAPs rather than routers.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just came back from the TBaytel Store. The guy said as long as the lock is unlocked after changing the default browser to Hotspot Browser, I am on wifi even if I get the error message and the white dash is beside my wifi network.

I did a factory restore last night and my caller ID issue looks like it has been fixed. I will try when I get to my parents house tonight and call my phone from there to be sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts