Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wall Street Journal is saying the BlackBerry Tablet May Debut Next Week

The tablet, which some inside RIM are calling the BlackPad, is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of this year, these people said. It will feature a seven-inch touch screen and one or two built-in cameras, they said.

It will have Bluetooth and broadband connections but will only be able to connect to cellular networks through a BlackBerry smartphone, these people said.
Note "will only be able to connect to cellular networks through a BlackBerry smartphone"

·
Registered
815 Posts
Note "will only be able to connect to cellular networks through a BlackBerry smartphone"
That sounds like a good idea as most people won't want to give up their blackberries, but don't really want to pay for two phone services.

Can iPads connect to the internet through a smart phone?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iPad 3G can connect directly to the internet.

I think the inability to connect directly to the internet (if true) is a terrible mistake. Now you are forced to take two devices everywhere.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that you may still want two unique devices but why not give users the choice?

If you need both a tablet and a phone then why not a tablet with a phone built-in (with say a Bluetooth headset). It would be much easier than carrying two standalone devices which must communicate with each other all the time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I expect RIM will market this as "why pay for a second 3G service when you already have one for your BB?" which is valid enough, unless the customer has a wireless plan that allows sharing the 3G service between a smartphone and a tablet.

I'm more curious about the rumours that RIM's device will feature apps targeted at a business/enterprise market; i.e. a continuation of the strategy that BB's are for serious business use while iPhones are for entertainment. It makes sense on one level, but then why all the advertising promoting BBM and 'berries' other features to the youth/personal use market segment?

These mixed messages, along with way too many models, are hurting RIM, in my opinion. I doubt I am alone in not knowing what BB would best meet my needs/wants and still we expect an updated Storm to debut along with the "BlackPad" next week - even before the Torch (which was announced with such fervour just weeks ago) arrives in Canada! Too many choices and contradictory marketing messages are enough to drive potential customers to another brand.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I understand that you may still want two unique devices but why not give users the choice?

If you need both a tablet and a phone then why not a tablet with a phone built-in (with say a Bluetooth headset). It would be much easier than carrying two standalone devices which must communicate with each other all the time.
Thought the same thing, Hugh, although maybe RIM is planning a marketing strategy along the lines of "buy a tablet and if you don't already have a BB, we'll throw in one for free". That would appeal to people who don't have one - they'd get both and could then decide when they went out whether they wanted to take one or both devices. There's also the increasing availability of VOIP over WIFI that may make lack of 3G connectivity less of an issue - certainly, Apple must have concluded that when they decided to offer the non-3G connecting iPads.

·
Banned
328 Posts
scampbell; said:
That sounds like a good idea as most people won't want to give up their blackberries, but don't really want to pay for two phone services.

2.2 Android smartphones have built-in Wi-Fi tethering connectivity for iPads, iPods, laptops, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
The Nexus One can do that. So far, as far as I know it is the only Android 2.2 phone to have that functionality available, at least in North America. The others have all had it disabled by the carrier in favour of proprietary hot-spot software or simply under the pretense that the phone's hardware was incapable.

It also likely provides increased risk (someone accessing your hotspot) over a native bluetooth solution.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The Bell Galaxy S can tether too - there's an option in the settings called "Mobile AP." I've successfully used it to beam photos from my Eye-Fi card to my home computer and Facebook.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
It also likely provides increased risk (someone accessing your hotspot)
Android 2.2 supports WPA2 encryption with WiFi tethering. WPA2 is very secure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The reality is that whatever they ship in 6 months probably won't really resemble what they announced. Take a look at the hire list on the QNX web site and then tell me that they're realistically at the point where they can be finalizing the configuration.

I'm hoping that apple can leverage this rumored functionality to press iphone tethering to the carriers though. There's no technical reason why an iPad can't tether to an iPhone other than apple had to agree not to do it in order to get the iPad data plans accepted.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take a look at the hire list on the QNX web site and then tell me that they're realistically at the point where they can be finalizing the configuration.
You do realize that QNX has been around a lot longer than RIM and does a whole lot more than just the OS for the Playbook? Take a look at who some of their major customers are. I wouldn't just assume that all those "Help Wanted" postings are for RIM's Playbook.

Personally, I was quite happy to see that RIM is willing to look beyond the BlackBerry OS and see if they have another option to go with. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see if this actually was a better route than the BlackBerry OS.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
If nothing else, people can still potentially guess your password.
Go to www.grc.com and get a password like this:

TQXy_+>hUc/^:X!(JL.Ym\`55TgEnsLmX*tf`5=|d'Gu'rhe$oW_*N~qdceF#Rr

Have fun trying to guess it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You do realize that QNX has been around a lot longer than RIM and does a whole lot more than just the OS for the Playbook? Take a look at who some of their major customers are. I wouldn't just assume that all those "Help Wanted" postings are for RIM's Playbook.

Personally, I was quite happy to see that RIM is willing to look beyond the BlackBerry OS and see if they have another option to go with. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see if this actually was a better route than the BlackBerry OS.
The fact that I refer to QNX as a separate entity might have indicated that, I'll try to be more in your face obvious next time.

I agree that Rim ditching the BBO for QNX is a positive step, the question is can they get over their internal politics and overhired infrastructure to get the job done.

I'm definitely in the camp of people who think the announcement hardware was staged, which means they have a long way to go to have something ship ready for end users. Unless they've hired some usability engineers its likely the actual touch OS features will be an afterthought again, just like on the Storm 1/2/3?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The fact that I refer to QNX as a separate entity might have indicated that, I'll try to be more in your face obvious next time.
No, actually you tried to tie the fact that there were a lot job postings with the state of the Playbook by inferring that all those postings must be Playbook related.

Take a look at the hire list on the QNX web site and then tell me that they're realistically at the point where they can be finalizing the configuration.
Configuration of what? Since you posted in the thread about the Playbook, you must be referring to the Playbook.:rolleyes:

Sorry if you got offended by the fact that I was pointing out that QNX was more than just the upcoming Playbook.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts