Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows when the Blackberry Storm is coming to Rogers, and if the GSM model will have WiFi?
So far, all pre-release info I have seen online and other forums are for Verizon in the U.S., and there is no WiFi on the phone (Verizon's CDMA service doesn't have a single phone available with WiFi). Does anyone know if the GSM version will have it?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
RIM has kept tight lipped about this phone. The only thing released so far is that it will be Verizon exclusive (no time frame given that i know of) and in the UK. Basically until some credible insider gets some info we are all left waiting. I for one want to see Bell or Telus get it first since Rogers seems to always get new phones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely, and in Novemeber

I have heard through the grape vine, that Rogers might be launching it this November.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What grapevine would that be?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ok...Rogers not carrying the BB Storm...Doesn't make sense

Alright so can anyone tell me why its a SMART business move for RIM to not make a GSM version of this phone? First of all almost EVERY major phone launch is GSM, with the majority of customers in North America using GSM(100+Million on AT&T in the US, and 8.5+Million on Rogers in Canada) why in the blue hell would this be CDMA? AT&T cant be happy about this, neither should Rogers.

Of course if it IS coming out on GSM than just ignore this post, but anyone ive talked to says its CDMA only. No 3G with a phone thats looking to compete with iPhone? LAME

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I believe this is a dual phone that can work on both networks. Probaby it will come out through Rogers at some point soon. Rogers had the iPhone and Telus and Bell have the Storm. The love needs to be spread around to keep all players happy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes but the # of GSM subs compared to CDMA in North America is like 5:1...and its not about "keeping players happy" its about being the best and having the fastest, most reliable network which Rogers/Fido posess. I guess it makes sense if it IS dual but just because Rogers has the iphone do you think RIM feels sorry for Bellus and is making this for them? lol

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
It is not about feeling sorry for any carrier. I would think Bell and Telus paid an exclusive amount for the ability to release the storm first. For your info out here in the East Rogers does not have the most reliable network. I figure Rogers will have the Storm in the 1st quarter of 2009.

·
Registered
578 Posts
In rural and less populated areas no, you are right. However this isn't really Rogers fault as so much the type of network they use. It's the EXACT same as comparing FM to AM frequency. AM(Telus/Bell/CDMAcarriers) is lower quality but broadcasts farther from towers, whereas FM(GSM) is higher quality/higher bandwidth but does not go as far. Sure you'll hear riggers and farmers complain about Rogers but its only a matter of network and not carrier.

·
Registered
139 Posts
May want to double check your GSM vs CDMA numbers in North America Riley. The #1 and #3 carriers in the USA are Verizon and Sprint / Nextel, and both are CDMA. Verizon has 69 million subscribers and Sprint has 52 million. There are roughly 250 million cell subscribers in the USA, so nearly 50% are using CDMA.

In Canada, Bell has 5.9 million subscribers, Telus has about 5.8 million and Rogers / Fido have about 7.5 million... so in Canada, there are actually more CDMA than GSM subscribers!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sorry you are right...AT&T actually only has 71M subscribers which is still more than Verizon, but i mistook the 150 million subs for wireless when that is actually AT&T's total # of subscribers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts