Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Like who?
It's been commented on here in other BlackBerry threads that it was a silly extra step in an attempt to close the app-gap.

As for wireless charging - IMO it's more novelty than practical. A friend with a Galaxy has nothing but problems with it, and with a 3,000+ mAh battery you won't be needing to charge it often anyway.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It's been commented on here in other BlackBerry threads that it was a silly extra step in an attempt to close the app-gap.
You're ignoring the 2nd part of your comment. Who is this person that once made fun and is now advocating choice?

As for wireless charging - IMO it's more novelty than practical. A friend with a Galaxy has nothing but problems with it, and with a 3,000+ mAh battery you won't be needing to charge it often anyway.
I use it every single day. I have 3 charging pads (by the bed, computer desk and at my work desk). Even works through my Ballistic case. I will miss it, though, because my next phone won't have it either, but it works really well once you have a good pad.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You're ignoring the 2nd part of your comment. Who is this person that once made fun and is now advocating choice?
You expect me to remember what everyone says on this forum?

Generally speaking, users who have been opposed to BB10 due to the "app gap" have turned their noses up at the idea of using 3rd party app stores to fix the problem. Ironically, they're the same (group of) people who use a platform that requires they invest time in figuring out simple things like how to manage files on their device.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
You made a comment that included the now. Shouldn't be too hard to remember about the now. But I get it now. You were generalizing and trying to make it relevant.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You made a comment that included the now. Shouldn't be too hard to remember about the now. But I get it now. You were generalizing and trying to make it relevant.
Ok, fine, if you really must go there:

I am well familiar with Snap. Snap is the very definition of a hack. You have to side-load it, which means that the average user may not even know about it, let alone be able to figure out how to do it.
So sideloading an app so you can go get the rest of the stuff you need is a hack, but having to hunt for a file manager that should have been included in the core OS is considered "choice".

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If you're unable to distinguish between side load and going to the play store, no amount of explaining will work for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
When you have a mix of file types (some reports might be in DOC, others in PDF, etc...) then having to open those files through their respective application is tedious. I find it much more efficient to simply hope into File Explorer, navigate to where I know the files are and open them from there. I don't have to think in advance about what type the file is.
That's not what I meant. You use the app native to the source, not the file type. For example, I use the Google Drive app to navigate Google Drive. If I had Dropbox, I'd use the Dropbox app. Those apps are tailored to those services, and match the experience users will have with the web versions. Local files are stored in downloads, and Android ships with a download manager.

Maybe you'd rather have a single app manage them all, but that's a subjective preference (and one you can still easily fulfill). It is not objectively better.

This is why I've always held the position that Android generally provides users with a fragmented, inconsistent experience - browsing for files while in the process of attaching them to an email is done through a different application/interface than opening files for viewing on the device.
If you can't figure out the document manager, you're not going to be able to manage any kind of file explorer. It's about the simplest app/interface imaginable.

I find it humorous that those who made fun of BB10 users having to take extra steps to get apps such as using "Snap" are now advocating that the additional steps to get a file manager onto their device suddenly constitutes "choice and customizability". ;)
There are two huge and obvious differences here. The first is that the Play Store ships with every Android phone with Google services, and using it to find apps is an expected use case for which the phone is designed. Side loading a third party service in order to gain questionable access to the Play Store was not something BlackBerry intended when they designed BB10.

Secondly, the average user will never miss having a file manager. Like I said, I haven't used one in years, and I use my phone for work purposes regularly - the document manager does the job just fine. People seem to manage fine with iPhones. On the other hand, I think the average user will miss having access to a robust app store.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you're unable to distinguish between side load and going to the play store, no amount of explaining will work for you.
All I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to go searching for core apps to download just to make the device usable. To say that's reasonable while at the same time laughing at the need to sideload ONE app onto BB10 is silly.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The device is usable without a file manager. If you insist on doing things the old-fashioned way, a quick search in the Play Store will find what you need (and I'm sure any smartphone user is familiar with how simple it is to download an app from the Play Store).

Again, look at iPhone - the single most popular series of phones out there (tens of millions sold each quarter). The fact these have NO file manager, yet are still extremely popular with consumers and even businesses says that a file manager app isn't super crucial when alternatives exist.

By your logic, if someone needs Facebook and it's not preloaded on the phone, it's a hassle to download from the Play Store. Neither Facebook, nor a file manager is a core app. If you need them, they're a quick download away (from a legitimate source preinstalled on the phone).

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
People will get all bent out of shape because they don't have an app to control the colour of their LED lightbulbs, but they'll gladly put off work because the phone lacks the basic functionality that the OS of any mobile phone should have.

If you only knew how many times I've had someone tell me they'd email me from the office because their "smartphone" phone is too fiddly or otherwise incapable of doing it.

Folks have been complaining for years that iOS didn't handle email attachments nicely. Apple finally got around to doing something about it this year, but it's still half-baked. Oh well, they can make their LEDs dance while they snapchat with eachother instead.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
By your logic, if someone needs Facebook and it's not preloaded on the phone, it's a hassle to download from the Play Store. Neither Facebook, nor a file manager is a core app. If you need them, they're a quick download away (from a legitimate source preinstalled on the phone).
The advantage of having a file manager baked into the OS is that it provides a consistent interface for selecting/managing files from whatever app you're in. So instead of the email app loading up one interface for selecting files, and another interface comes up for browsing for files to send in an IM, or you're trying to locate a file in the middle of a meeting - it's all consistent which is important when you're trying to get things done as the familiarity improves the speed at which you can use the device.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Once again, the Document Manager is consistent across apps. If people want something that resembles how they do things on a desktop, it's super simple to grab something that works for them.

Seriously, you're making a big deal out of nothing here. Complaining for the sake of complaining, when pretty much ANY smartphone user would just go to the Play Store and grab a file manager if they really needed one.

If that's too hard to comprehend, perhaps you're better off sticking with your BB10 phone and leave it at that. I really have nothing more to say, as you obviously are stuck in your ways and simply believe nobody is willing to adapt to change.

Case closed.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
People will get all bent out of shape because they don't have an app to control the colour of their LED lightbulbs, but they'll gladly put off work because the phone lacks the basic functionality that the OS of any mobile phone should have.
What, exactly, can Android not do with regard to file manipulation that it should? It's not like it's hiding files away from you. Android does things differently than BB10, just like it does things differently than Windows Phone and iOS. What you're complaining about here isn't lack of functionality, it's a change in workflow. And not even a permanent one - you can make it work the way you want!

If you only knew how many times I've had someone tell me they'd email me from the office because their "smartphone" phone is too fiddly or otherwise incapable of doing it.
And you think the problem is the difference between the document manager and a full-fledged file manager? That is, in a word, ludicrous. They can adjust to using an interface designed for a 5 inch screen and a touch keyboard, but if the file manager isn't consistent they just can't cope? The people you deal with would have just as much challenge on a BB10 device. It's not the workflow that's holding them back.

As I said, I regularly work off my phone, and the document manager suits me just fine. I obviously have the ability to go find a file manager, but I don't believe it would offer me an improved experience. the document manager is simple, straight-forward, and extremely easy to use.

Folks have been complaining for years that iOS didn't handle email attachments nicely. Apple finally got around to doing something about it this year, but it's still half-baked. Oh well, they can make their LEDs dance while they snapchat with eachother instead.
Should they make sure they get off your lawn while doing it?

I've actually never had snapchat, and I don't have any Hue lightbulbs, but let's say for a minute that I did. What, pray tell, makes your use case more meaningful than mine? Why must your experiences and your needs be transposed onto everyone else? Who are you to pass judgement on what everyone else wants to do with their devices?

People have different needs and wants from their smartphones, and for you to suggest that their needs and wants are frivolous because they don't align with your own is, quite frankly, asinine. You're not that important.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
I don't know that that's necessarily fair (though I understand that you weren't being entirely literal). Lots of perfectly capable and intelligent people have chosen to never invest the time in truly mastering their smartphones, just as their are plenty of similar people who have never quite mastered their PCs. I just don't see the barrier to entry for those people as being a small element of the workflow.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
In other news....

Was at a Rogers store today... Looked like possibly a Blackberry rep, or a Rogers trainer was in training 2 of the staff on the "features" of the new Priv... I let them take me for a test drive as they walked me through it... Had my kids with me so did not soak it all in .. IT was funny to have theme explain how great android was(im a androidfan). Kool little thing though i have not seen before was the ability to swipe a calendar app icon on the home screen and have it turn on its widget. Other apps/widgets could be swiped up for widget view. Neat. A brief explanation of DTEK security feature was pretty neat as well. Letting u know what apps maybe doing bad things in the background...

They had it on a tether so i could not really handle it well or get a sense of its weight. But it seemed light, looked pretty cool, the slide up keyboard...hmm i never used one, i worry about durability..

not sure im ready to give blackberry my money, i wish them the best, not sure i want to fund what could be there last phone or the first step in there next chapter of hardware..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Got my Priv today. Was never a BB user but my HTC One M7 was starting to show it's age.
There hasn't been any phone I've just had to have since the M7 so I thought I would support a Canadian company and give it a try.
Very happy so far. Swipe to widget is pretty slick, few other cool things without butchering the OS to much.

Hammered out a few texts with the physical keyboard. It's for sure faster than a touch screen and far less typos.
I also like that I don't have a virtual keyboard burning up half the screen, can see this being way better when replying to a longer email.

Day one so haven't had enough time to form any negatives. I read some reviews that said it was top heavy with the keyboard out. I find it well balanced, but I also have larger than average hands.

I have iOS and Android phones and tablets in my house.
Approx 70% of the lighting in my house is Hue. They might have a deal with Apple but Android control is light years ahead of what iOS does.

Read a few other posts, while android isn't perfect and you might need to find a few apps etc.
It's capabilities are far beyond what any other mobile OS allows. That freedom does come at a bit of a cost but IMO it is well worth it.
At first I was some what overwhelmed by how android comes together, but now I wouldn't go any other way, nothing else allows you to personalize and customize like Android.
I'll be the first to admit, Android might not be your first choice if you aren't tech savy.
iOS seems to be a bit easier for people to use.

BB had it's time and ruled the productivity world for sometime, but those days are over
My work was all BB at one point, now they supply Android. My wife's work was also BB, now everyone has iPhone's and iPad's. She's not happy about that though, wants her BB back for work and loves her Android personal phone.

I'm hopeful the Priv works out for Blackberry, they've been left behind, Google and Apple will be the mobile OS kings for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
played with one at work yesterday. I really didn't mind it

I might be one of the last guys out there, but I would have preferred the slider the other orientation

I really liked my old LG slider, and before that I had an OQO and would love to have a modern version of it

21 - 40 of 155 Posts