Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I tweak some setting so that when I go to a webpage the pictures are not automatically downloaded? I have a limited data plan thru work & just want the text.

·
Registered
815 Posts
On my 8800, in the Blackberry Browser options, Browser Configuration, I uncheck "show images" and check "show image placeholders".

I don't know if newer browsers work the same way, though.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that works great. Unfortunately though I can't get the page I want, but I don't think thats anything to do with the new picture setting.

I want to be able to get the Toronto Beaches (Bluffers Park) ecoli count on my bb so I will know when I can take my 2yr old there. On a laptop u can do this;

http://www.toronto.ca/beach/

- click swimming conditions
- click K Bluffers Beach (under to big picture)

But on my bb I get a HTTP Error 404: Not Found, because "requested url /BWQR/ecolitestinginfo.htm was not found"

Is there something else I can tweak or is this beyond the capability of a bb?

·
Registered
358 Posts
are you using the blackberry native web browser?

if you are download this program

http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/blackberry/

its Opera Browser... and I use it for times like this when the BB browser won't work. it will allow you to view the site... just checked for myself

Cheers

EDIT: also note, I just tried it on the native browser as well and had no problem viewing on both my BlackBerry Storm as well as my wifes 8330.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDIT: also note, I just tried it on the native browser as well and had no problem viewing on both my BlackBerry Storm as well as my wifes 8330.
You are clicking the links and getting right to the page with the ecoli count?

Going directly to the link I already tried, doesn't work (that even fails on a browser that doesn't have a session/cookie/somethingorother already initiated.

Downloading a browser (or some update) sounds like a good idea, I currenty have a l loaner while mine is getting fixed (dropped it too many times). I'll try that when I get mine back & advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts