Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a Blackberry with a Yahoo email account successfully for years.

My wife just got her first BB Curve 9300, and she wants to setup her Hotmail email. It looks like Hotmail doesn't work very well with a Blackberry.

Basically, if you read or delete an email on the Blackberry, the emails will show as read or deleted at hotmail.com....good! But if you read and delete emails at hotmail.com, they don't show as read or deleted on the Blackberry.

Her hotmail account tends to get a lot of emails (she signs up for contests). So her BB ends up showing like 48 unread emails. Meanwhile, her work emails (through BES) get lost in the shuffle.

Are people using hotmail with their BB's? And what is Microsoft Mobile Services Protocol and would this help? I can't find that option anywhere.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
hi there.

i had the problem when i was reading emails on my bb, they were not being marked as read on my msn.com but i went into my fido.blackberry.com portal, and saw the Microsoft Mobile Services Protocol option, checked it off, and now my mails are marked as read on msn.com when i open and read them on my device. this is what i was looking for. im pretty sure this will delete them from msn.com too when i delete them from my device but ive never tried yet.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you do things on your device, they will happen on the website, too. That part works fine. The problem with hotmail is that things you do on the website don't reconcile on the device.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have my hotmail set up as a browser shortcut, it goes right to my account(login info is saved). It makes it easier to seperate it from my gmail account, which is setup on my bb mail.

It's very clean, functional, and easy to manage. Hotmail (err Windows Live) knows you're accessing it through a mobile phone, no need to look for a specific mobile website version (wap).

Even TD's app is actually a browser shortcut.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Doesn't that mean you need to manually check for new mail? Kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone doesn't it lol.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I setup the shortcut, so at least it's there. But seriously, I'm completely shocked that hotmail isn't fully integrated into a Blackberry. How about with Android?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts