Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 3 year old Samsung 40" LCD and I just started noticing these vertical shadows on the TV. They are in the same place every time and are visible while using a PS3, PC, 360, and digital cable box. I am not sure if it just started or if I just started noticing it.

http://img852.imageshack.us/f/dscn0140cj.jpg/

You can really see the shadowing on the upper right side next to the weather and date gadget, though it does appear in several other places as well. Could it be banding, burn in (heard lcd's don't though), or even something like condensation?

Is it repairable and if so at what cost? Also, what can I do to avoid this in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

-Shawn

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's likely due to a mismatch between the TV resolution and the PC video card resolution. It can also be caused by bad scaling. Set the PC resolution to match the TV and scale the desktop to fit the screen exactly. That should make the problem go away. The lines will be most noticeable with grey. Computer generated digital images are notorious for being difficult to render on a TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help.

Does banding need to be complete straight vertical lines running down from top to bottom? The ones on my TV are not uniform (thicker at some points) and don't go from complete top to bottom.

As for it being the video card, it is visible with all inputs, not just with the PC.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Banding would normally be uniform. Have you tried changing TV settings and optimizing the TV?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

You mention burn-in, which is not typically a problem with LCDs. Do you have anything like an AVR or switch between your devices and your TV, or are they connected directly? If there is a device, remove it temporarily to see if it's the cause.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have the same issue on my Samsung. The vertical lines run top to bottom but are not necessarily the same width. They seem similar to the OPs. They are mostly noticeable during camera pans on plain backgrounds (when a camera moves across a hockey rink, for instance or a soccer field); but not as noticeable during slow moving scenes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried everything and have optimized the settings to the best of my knowledge. All the inputs are direct and I have removed each one as well.

The best way to describe it is as if there is dirt on the screen, only inside behind the glass. About 5 long vertical streaks. They are mostly noticable on a green or dark grey background, yet hardly noticable on white backgrounds. My first thought when I saw one was to just clean it, but when it didn't come off I knew it was behind.

I will try to get a better picture up shortly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts