Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, I didn't know where to turn after having no success with Bell tech support. I have a 9241 PVR and wanted to watch an on demand movie last last, "Little Fockers", so after purchasing it via phone i waited for the rented sign to come up in the program guide. It did so i select on the movie in the 1000's and selected start now. The screen flickered and it sits black screen for hours. I have my 9241 hooked up to my panasonic 1080p tv via HDMI. After fighting with the tech support guy who told me to try component cable and explaining that i couldn't get 1080p video via component cable, he suggested that maybe i try using a different HDMI cable. I have now tried 3, one of them being a 150$ monster brand which i use for my PS3, nothing has worked. Black screen every time i select on it. When i go to HDTV set up from the receiver menu i see that 1080p is not even an option, only 1080i, is this an issue? Just looking for a little guidance on how to further pursue this. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Questions:

1. Are you going through an AVR?

2. What's the model of the TV and make/model of AVR if applicable?

3. What's the length and gauge of the HDMI cable(s) used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No AVR

Panasonic TH-50PX600U

First HDMI - Radio Shack brand 3' not sure about gauge
Second HDMI - Monsters brand 3' not sure about gauge but it's bigger than the others
Third HDMI - Unknown brand, 6' not sure about gauge, got it from ebgames

I use my monster on my PS3 and have had no trouble with it for blu-ray's and games.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Your TV is 768P (1366 x 768, not 1080P) and may not accept 1080P signals. The specs should be outlined in your operating manual near the back.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73528 HDTV Native Format

Do you have the PS3 set to output 1080i or 1080P? There may only be one input capable of 1080P? On this TV, doubtful you'd see much difference between 1080i/p anyway.

You could try component video to make sure the OD movie downloaded to the PVR.

Useful post - FAQs, Search tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Did you try the AV cable? Does the rest of the system work on the HDMI? There have been several recent reports of HDMI failures on 9200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No failures with HDMI, tv works great for 1080p output on the ps3! I'm assuming if it's plays blu-rays with no problems it can handle some bell 1080p OD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TV is capable of 1080p on both HDMI inputs, and is set to it on the ps3 all the time. Bell receive gives only 1080i output as available.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
When you press the "info" button on the TV remote, does it confirm 1080P from the PS3? What does it say for the input info for the 9241? You should likely have the 9241 set for 720P since BTV changes all channels to 720P. Did you try a different connection, like component video to confirm that the video is actually on the 9241 ready to play? What does the TV say is the info on the movie when you try to play it - perhaps it's receiving 1080P despite the setup option only being 1080i in the 9241?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543 On Upconversion

I can't remember if there's something "special" that you need to do to get 1080P working on the 9241 (I don't have BTV) - perhaps someone else has that info and has downloaded a 1080P movie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the ps3 running on a blu-ray it says 1080p, with some games it reads 1080i or 720p, while running the 9241 is says 1080i. In the HDTV set up screen from the receiver it doesn't allow me to select anything higher than 1080i. Have not tried any component video cable as i was under the impression it would give me the "tv not capable of 1080p video" error. When OD movie is suppose to be playing tv reads 1080i. Not sure how to set 1080p on the receiver settings as it only goes up to 1080i. I must stress again that my tv plays blu-rays at 1080p

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
If it's not too much trouble, give the component video cables a try just to make sure the video actually downloaded - also, I believe there is a certain time limit to view the video? The PVR will probably convert the signal to 1080i (or 720P if you selected that output format in the PVR setup) As I mentioned in my post, you should likely select 720P for your normal viewing since it'll save one conversion step. Instead of 720P -> 1080i (by PVR) -> 768P (by TV), it would be 720P -> 768P (by TV).

Remember also that although your TV accepts 1080P, 1080i, 720P, these signals are converted by the TV to 768P, as I mentioned in post 4 - I assume you read the various links I provided.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts