Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
The limitation was obvious. They should change the offer which specify "unlimited Internet access", which is a lie.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Shaw secretly limits Bit Torrent bandwidth.

This doesn't surprise me but I question the legality of it;

Shaw cable has, this year, begun to roll out traffic-shaping technology on their network using technology from Ellacoya, as reported by this Wall Street Journal article. It seems they started using this service in early 2005 in the greater Vancouver area, probably because Shaw's network is most overloaded in that market. There have been reports that they are rolling it out to Edmonton, Saskatoon, and Winniepg. Check out the reports, there's a lot of talk.

Ellacoya's technology works by "deep packet inspection" which is a type of firewall that's super-intelligent. That is, it doesn't just know about IP and TCP or UDP ports, it can also look inside the packet and see if it's FTP, HTTP, Bittorrent, kazaa, and etc. Therefore, it's not affcted by port numbers. This technology, while impressive, is not perfect. It can mis-identify packets, and requires constant upgrades to keep track of all potential types of data traversing the internet, of which there are many, and the possibility to create a new one today exists.

I find Shaw's actions here completely reprehensible. I do not pay for "Xtreme-I" service because i want slow Bittorrent uploads. I pay because i want the speed they advertise. If their network is not capable of providing the service they are selling me, is would expect them to upgrade their network. Afterall, Shaw made about $160 million income on revenues of about $2.2 billion in FY2005 (see the Q4 2005 report (PDF)).

And even if the economics are such that they must cap, lying about it is completely unacceptable. I have contacted Shaw about this issue and so far, have recieved completely unsatisfactory responses, which can be summarized as "The problems are definatly not Shaw's that's for sure. Oh, and go suck a lemon."

If you do not have bittorrent caps now, enjoy it while it lasts. The limiter is coming.

The question now is: what can we, the Shaw customers, actually DO about this?
http://news.fudo.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=15&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

·
Registered
303 Posts
Even with the cap, you can still pull down as high as 500kbps and upload at around 64kbps. I live in Vancouver and those are the numbers I've seen. 500 is quite high but average is around 250-300 with a decent number of peers. Good enough if it keeps the network from overloading. That's about what you can expect from most sites (like MS or Apple) as an average dl speed anyway.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Funny thing is they upped the Xtreme-I to 7mbps, and regular internet to 5 mbps, and no one said anything about it.
I've noticed faster downloads, and haven't really noticed a slowdown on BT.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well, this is not 'news'. As you yourself say in your post, they have been doing this for almost a year. There is a thread about a zillion posts long about it over on dslreports. Secondly, it ain't 'secret'. While they are hardly advertising it (why would they?) they acknowledged it quite some time ago.

They seem to have backed off a bit. My downloads were horrible for a while. I mean 15-20 kbps. Now it is back up to about 500. That's fine for me as I only use it to get a couple of shows that I can't live without and we can't get here: Real Time with Bill Maher and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

As for philosophy, it doesn't bother me that much. I pay good money for internet access and I don't really want it slowing to a crawl because every pimply-faced nerd in town is downloading the latest Star Wars movie the day it hit theatres.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Arcanum said:
Even with the cap, you can still pull down as high as 500kbps and upload at around 64kbps. I live in Vancouver and those are the numbers I've seen. 500 is quite high but average is around 250-300 with a decent number of peers. Good enough if it keeps the network from overloading. That's about what you can expect from most sites (like MS or Apple) as an average dl speed anyway.
I signed up for the basic high speed about six months ago. The first modem they gave me SURFBOARD was disconnecting sporatically for no reason. About a month later they replaced it and things were working nicely till last week when all of the sudden my DL speed went from over 500k to a max of about 45k. When I called service about it the techie was condescending and thoroughly unhelpful so I called back to cancel (no point in paying for a high speed that isn't much better than dialup). Waited on the phone about a half hr. listening to SHAW advertising and promos. Finally got through and was told that to cancel for the months end I had to call back at months end as it was too difficult and complicated to be able to do it a week in advance. So I guess I'll call back and listen to their advertising for another half hr. before they'll let me cancel their rotten service.

I love dealing with corporations their so helpful and considerate of the consumer's (I almost said customer's) needs. :rolleyes:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Brenda418, I can't believe they would tell you to call back to cancel. I guess I'm an ass because I would have demanded right then and there to process my cancellation

Were you talking to a tech support person or billing at that time because I can see that a tech support couldn't cancel an account.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hugh said:
Brenda418, I can't believe they would tell you to call back to cancel. I guess I'm an ass because I would have demanded right then and there to process my cancellation

Were you talking to a tech support person or billing at that time because I can see that a tech support couldn't cancel an account.
No... I had just gotten through about 20 min. of discussing slow speeds and bandwidth with tech. support who was no help whatsoever. He told me I had to call another number to cancel which I did.

The woman I spoke with was just as unhelpful as tech. support. I'll leave it till the end of the month and then probably spend an hour or more on hold listening to SHAW advertising before being allowed to cancel their service.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I have anything to do with them again!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Brenda418 said:
The woman I spoke with was just as unhelpful as tech. support. I'll leave it till the end of the month and then probably spend an hour or more on hold listening to SHAW advertising before being allowed to cancel their service.
They don't take cancellations by email?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mexicanuck said:
They don't take cancellations by email?

See the difficult part is that I want the service till months end and apparently SHAW'S policy is that the only way they cancel a contract is IMMEDIATELY. So if I want to keep it till month's end I'll have to call them back at that time.

Sending them an email at month's end telling them to cancel immediately isn't a bad idea as it would save me the indignity of being forced to listen to an hr. of BS advertising while I'm on hold and the backpeddling of a paper hatted moron in a cubicle.

Any way it's moot as I just sent them a snailmail telling them to cancel immediately. I don't know which bothers me more... the Ellacoya technology they use to selectively cripple bandwidth or the dishonest and smug denials from staff. Either way they're history in this house!:mad:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought I would throw my 2 cents in since I have had experiance with both situation's, It really all depends on who you get when you contact them as there is a way of setting up your account to be canceled at a certain day you choose, and as well by email,

·
Registered
224 Posts
my torrent speeds seem normal, if i'm downloading a video podcast like diggnation i can get speeds like 200-300kb/s bu if i'm downloading stuff of questionable legality like a tv show i missed i can get speeds anywhere from 20-100kb/s

how shaw would be able to disguinsh between the two, i don't know, but my speeds seem to be directly related to the number of seeds, more seeds, faster download, unless that is the limited speed and i could be getting a whole lot faster downloads

but the best thing for bittorrent is to set it up and go to bed, it'll be done in the morning, but make sure to set an upload ratio cap, i got an email from shaw this month saying i was uploading a lot, but no extra charges, just a link to a page showing you how to limit uploads using kazaa....someone needs to get with the times!

·
Registered
5 Posts
sk1d said:
my torrent speeds seem normal, if i'm downloading a video podcast like diggnation i can get speeds like 200-300kb/s bu if i'm downloading stuff of questionable legality like a tv show i missed i can get speeds anywhere from 20-100kb/s

how shaw would be able to disguinsh between the two, i don't know, but my speeds seem to be directly related to the number of seeds, more seeds, faster download, unless that is the limited speed and i could be getting a whole lot faster downloads

but the best thing for bittorrent is to set it up and go to bed, it'll be done in the morning, but make sure to set an upload ratio cap, i got an email from shaw this month saying i was uploading a lot, but no extra charges, just a link to a page showing you how to limit uploads using kazaa....someone needs to get with the times!

I'm trying to finish up a torrent right now that has 12 seeds and 31 peers and haven't been able to get a down speed of better than 14k. Since this all started a week and a half ago I've tried at least 50 different torrents from several different sites. My max down speed is about 40k and my max up is about 14k no matter how many seeds and leeches. I tried one at Dimeadozen (a legal site for live music) that had over a hundred seeds and as many leeches and got a maximum down of 40k. I've been using that site for months and with those seed/leecher numbers always get three or four hundred at least (sometimes as high as 600).

It looks like Ellacoya from what I've read but who knows?! I'm really sick of the snotty, condescending and disinterested attitude. I've told SHAW'S people that if there's a problem with my bandwidth usage to let me know and I'd back off but they tell me theres no problem with my numbers. So what's the problem... I don't know and they obviously don't care. Anyway with a typical 14k download speed I'm better off saving a buck and going back to dialup.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rogers probably does this too (limit BT download throughput) as I have never seen download speeds > 50kbps even on the most heavily seeded torrent files. OTH, I have downloaded files off FTP, MSDN, HTTP, etc., at > 250kbps.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Brenda418 said:
I'm trying to finish up a torrent right now that has 12 seeds and 31 peers and haven't been able to get a down speed of better than 14k. Since this all started a week and a half ago I've tried at least 50 different torrents from several different sites. My max down speed is about 40k and my max up is about 14k no matter how many seeds and leeches. I tried one at Dimeadozen (a legal site for live music) that had over a hundred seeds and as many leeches and got a maximum down of 40k. I've been using that site for months and with those seed/leecher numbers always get three or four hundred at least (sometimes as high as 600).

It looks like Ellacoya from what I've read but who knows?! I'm really sick of the snotty, condescending and disinterested attitude. I've told SHAW'S people that if there's a problem with my bandwidth usage to let me know and I'd back off but they tell me theres no problem with my numbers. So what's the problem... I don't know and they obviously don't care. Anyway with a typical 14k download speed I'm better off saving a buck and going back to dialup.:rolleyes:
Don't know if this will help but try Bitlord, I'm on telus and if I have a good amount of seeder (35) and 400+ peers I can max my adsl at 160

1 - 20 of 26 Posts