Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for some one in the Ottawa area or eastern Ontario who is familiar with Birdog meters and would be willing to talk to me. Specifically, I am looking for some one that can explain what the meter can and can not do. What I what to be able to do is aim a dish and have reasonable certainty that I am peaked and on the desired satellite. The second thing I want to be able to do is have some idea of the real signal level that I am actually receiving. In addition to that I am hoping that I might be able to look at individual transponders for use when you might be on the edge of a spot beam. I have other questions but that’s a good start.

There is a whole range of models available on the used side and while the newer ones allegedly do more they are at the same time more expensive and may not do things that I really need.

The people who use these meters for installation of Shaw and Bell dishes do this for a living and I have found either not willing, even for some compensation, to explain its operation or they just don’t know.

I hate to say this in a forum but I am open to suggestions!

·
Registered
198 Posts
First of all, I am a noobie. I bought out a retiring installer last year. I bought all of his hardware (fittings, connectors, splitters, etc), installation tools, and his birdog unit.

It seems to me that most installers get a comfort zone of the specific birds they hit on a regular basis and have little or no interest in our hobby.
The unit i have, has to have the birds you want to hit, downloaded into the unit, via a cable and usb port, from a website. Then you get the dish close and it allows me to fine tune the signal. in my experience (which is limited) if the birdog says its there, and you get a good quality, the picture is great. I can't see a way on my unit to detect specific transponders. I think the unit is great, before, i had one of those stupid little meters and it was unreliable. I also used a portable tv with a receiver outside.
Oh, I paid a total price for all items for $340.00.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts