Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I learned that my father and his neighbor were splitting/sharing a bell system. Each had a dish set up on their respective houses, and each had one receiver, but only one bill went to my father. How does this work?? Will this work for people who don't live close by. Say for example my father and I live 100 km's away from each other, and he gives me one of his receivers, will it still work?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It could work wherever your other receiver is located...but it's against Bell policies
Your dad could add your receiver to his account, along with his friend's receiver and all 3, even not located at the same adress would work

(a) The IRD Receiver/Decoder Unit
Your right to receive and view the Programming is
granted only for IRDs situated in Canada that have
been authorized by ExpressVu to receive such
Programming. Your IRD will not operate without a
Smart Card. ExpressVu reserves the right to verify
that the service address is located in Canada and
that all active IRD’s on your account are located at
the address listed on your account as your “service
address”
. If any Subscriber is found to be in violation
of this or any other provision or policy, ExpressVu
may disconnect access to the Programming
immediately without notice to such Subscriber. As a
Subscriber, you are responsible for all Programming
that is ordered for your IRD. If you have concerns
about other persons ordering Programming for your
IRD without your authorization, request a personal
identification number (PIN) for your account, which
will be used by our Customer Service Centre to help
prevent unauthorized Programming orders. You may
also contact our Customer Service Centre to
determine if any particular IRD model is compatible
with all Programming in which you are interested.

http://www.bell.ca/web/common/en/all_regions/pdfs/tv/rca_legal.pdf

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does each person need a Dish installed on their home? And how can Bell actually track where each receiver is installed?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
What you are asking about is illegal and therefore should not be discused on these forums.

Bell can and do verify that all receivers are in the same location from time to time, they have a group that does nothing but this and if they find that receivers are NOT all at the same address they will normally shut down all but 1 receiver, or in extreme cases, close your account.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just call up Bell and give them your fathers account information and tell them you want to add a receiver to your fathers "family & friends share plan"

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
"family & friends share plan"
That is below the belt.....

There is NO such plan and calling Bell will most likely result in having his fathers account suspended.

Danny001, if you choose to add another receiver to your fathers account, that is something you should not discus on these forums and as I said, it is against Bell TVs' policies and can get the account suspended.

This link will help to explain how Bell Track Receivers;

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126281

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I could be wrong but i thought there was options that allowed a subscriber to have a dish at home and at there cottage with 2 receivers?(one bill one account) And that that was legal? I could be wrong.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is below the belt.....
I doubt he was going to call them up and say that. Read his post he knows it is not legal, he just wanted to know if he needed to a dish and if they would be able to track his receiver.

·
Registered
379 Posts
And that that was legal?
Your right but you are supposed to call them I believe so they shut off your receiver at home and activate your receiver at the cottage each time you go back and forth.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I could be wrong but i thought there was options that allowed a subscriber to have a dish at home and at there cottage with 2 receivers?(one bill one account) And that that was legal? I could be wrong.
Having multiple receivers at Home & Cottage means calling Bell every time you head for the Cottage to have them activate the Cottage receiver and de-activate the Home receiver, when you head home you have to call again, this time to activate the Home receiver and de-activate the Cottage one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.